Patio Doors - oh man...

Ok I need 4 patio doors ... (these are 72x80 rough openings)

• I think I want sliders
  • I think I want blinds in the glass
  • I want low/no threshold (ADA compliant)
  • I want to be able to install keyed hardware so they can be used for to enter / exit the home from the rear.
  • I want the screens on the outside.
  • I do not want to have to pay someone to install them.

These doors are covered by porches / deep overhangs so water entry from the low seals is not a major concern.

We have Anderson and Pella available at the box stores, Therma Tru has been suggested and Marvin has been suggested.

I can't find Therma Tru patio doors on their website, Im assuming these are assembled from bare parts if you know how to order said parts.

I do not mind paying for quality, but I am not spending 20 grand (Anderson 400 series swinging door with blinds) on 4 doors, nor do I want 600.00 junk.

Any suggestions? Is there a sleeper bargain door I'm missing?

At least in this area Marvin's pricing is absolutely insane when compared to Pella/Anderson. They are VERY proud of their product, apparently.

That being said, I'm not very impressed by the Pella casement windows I installed in a farmhouse. The hardware and opening mechanisms are just garbage quality compared to some 20 year old Anderson windows in our house.

At least in this area Marvin's pricing is absolutely insane when compared to Pella/Anderson. They are VERY proud of their product, apparently.

That being said, I'm not very impressed by the Pella casement windows I installed in a farmhouse. The hardware and opening mechanisms are just garbage quality compared to some 20 year old Anderson windows in our house.

That is not great news, I had kinda struck Pella from the list based on the recent tread about everyone needing the same unavailable part...

A family member has Marvin windows and likes them.

That is one of the doors we are considering (but with Nickel Hardware).

I replaced all the windows in my house myself. I used Jeld-win vinyl. I was able to order them with cardinal 366 glass, the best low e glass cardinal makes. We have seen our cooling and heading costs drop about 15% and thats with and older 4 ton ac single zone unit from 2004.

I don't know where you live, but if its hot, i recommend cardinal 366 glass.

I ordered my windows through Home depot, so check with them about glass options.

My sliding patio door is a 25 year old Marvin that has zero issues outside of normal wear and tear. Just replaced all the weatherstripping about a year ago...not drafty or anything just preemptive as it was also all original. Pretty tight even in sub-zero temps.

I replaced all the windows in my house myself. I used Jeld-win vinyl. I was able to order them with cardinal 366 glass, the best low e glass cardinal makes. We have seen our cooling and heading costs drop about 15% and thats with and older 4 ton ac single zone unit from 2004.

I don't know where you live, but if its hot, i recommend cardinal 366 glass.

I ordered my windows through Home depot, so check with them about glass options.

I will check into that. I think the blinds between the glass precludes the use of argon between them, but think they can still be low E, not sure, I would think my climate quite similar to yours.

My sliding patio door is a 25 year old Marvin that has zero issues outside of normal wear and tear. Just replaced all the weatherstripping about a year ago...not drafty or anything just preemptive as it was also all original. Pretty tight even in sub-zero temps.

Good to know. Mine are Apparently Peachtree Citation 3, they are a lot older than 25 years and have a lot more issues than zero. :)

Stanley makes patio doors and is really big on making automatic sliding doors used for grocery stores and retail.

Yes, they have a higher step over than most and was a bit turned off by their response to an enquiry about locks. At least thats from reviews about the step over. He not laid eyes on one as no one seems to have one on display.

Thinking of going with these guys when replacing windows ;)

I have a friend that used them, he had some issues but they eventually resolved them to his satisfaction. They ordered a wrong door and put it in either without noticing or without telling him. He had to call the owner though.

I think these are franchises, and I do not think they will just sell me the doors. YMMV

I like the Marvin patio doors I’ve seen. I have Jeld Wen windows on my house and they are junk. The low e glass that is apparently not flat melts my pool cover and anything else that gets in the way of the death ray.

I have Andersen wooden casement windows and one sliding patio door in my 51 year old house. They still function as new. I did replace the sliding screen section on the patio door about 10 years ago. We had a high wind warning here yesterday and my wife commented that she couldn’t hear the gusting wind blowing, although the trees in the yard were swaying big time.

So we ordered these either the last week of March or first week of April, they finally arrived in late August an it was last month before I had time to install them.

We ordered 200 series gliding patio doors with low-e glass and internal blinds. We ordered them white with white hardware and exterior locks. We also ordered an Andersen 8 series storm door - all locks were to be keyed alike. The gliding doors were ordered assembled.

I'm somewhat disappointed by the packing and shipping, Andersen is clearly responsible for the inadequate packing, but I don't know if Andersen or the supplier is responsible for the clearly rough transit.

These are shipped with blocks on the blinds to hold them in place and with large wire ties holding the movable panel in place all but one had lost at least some of this by the time it arrived. There are also scratches in some of the vine and windows that almost had to happen before boxing.

One of the blinds - in the door that had obviously the roughest trip - has now malfunctioned it will not raise and lower and the operating handle comes loose re-engaging the operating handle results in it coming loose again. This seems to be exacerbated by colder weather if its in the 70's you can probably raise and lower it, below freezing forget it. This and the black mark in one of the glass panes is currently waiting on Andersen to resolve.

The Storm door hardware and the gliding door hardware is not keyed alike, all of the gliding doors are the same but the storm door uses a completely different key. It appears to use a Kwikset the key. Was originally told by supplier that they could attest rekey to storm door hardware to match the other Kwickset keys for the home, but upon taking it down there they key guy said he could not manage it I will have to contact a locksmith. (not real pleased)

Installation was fairly straight forward, the original installation method of the lower slides was a bit of a challenge, but nothing that was the new doors fault. The complete lack of sealing of any sort on the original doors was - interesting.

Back