Peak oil? Majors not buying threat from renewables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading your quote reminds me of what I was saying decades ago now "It's the density, stupid". Not you of course but to all of those who suddenly became "enlightened" & "illuminated" & glowed green.

So absolutely clueless about the physics, chemistry & trade-offs involved were they. This was the rise of a political mass-movement, gaining momentum, causing so many to "jump on board" to "belong" and "a part of".

Works great on large sailboats/cruisers (after all their A/C is water cooled to boot), off-grid cabins, etc. But a modern house? Or neighborhood? Or city? Or "The World"? Give me a break....

The propaganda was hundreds of miles ahead of the facts & reality.

Further proof was that the new-found greenies ran smack into their old nemesis: Nuclear Power. Result? Massive, widespread concussion and cognitive dissonance.

"You Can't Break The Laws of Physics. You Can Only Break Yourself Against Them". They don't conform to any prevailing political mass-movement, much less yield.

What I'd like is to build my dream house further North, where gaining heat is a good thing as well as recycling it. Powering the place as well as providing heat 24/7 would be my own personal nuclear reactor, about the size of a 10ga. bucket. It would warm the house, the garage, the greenhouse, the sauna, the hot tub, generate hot water and de-ice when necessary. It would also produce all my electricity. For a lifetime.

Down here I need to shed heat, minimize heat gain and live in air conditioning not only to cool but remove humidity, which is equally important. It would work here as well, powering the necessary A/C however much of the heat would have to be dumped as my heating season is very small vs. the cooling season & humidity removal. Steam distillation could be used to purify drinking water, generate steam for cleaning & disinfecting.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

What I'd like is to build my dream house further North, where gaining heat is a good thing as well as recycling it. Powering the place as well as providing heat 24/7 would be my own personal nuclear reactor, about the size of a 10ga. bucket. It would warm the house, the garage, the greenhouse, the sauna, the hot tub, generate hot water and de-ice when necessary. It would also produce all my electricity. For a lifetime.

We are on the same page
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We are on the same page
thumbsup2.gif

Indeed.
Imagine someone asking in such a situation "what are you burning for heat?"

Thorium.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Get that snow last night ...? I’m west of Houston and got a few inches !
Just a bit. Only stuck on roofs.
Major surprise. I went for a short bike ride around 3:30 CST, it began to rain enough to wet my glasses so I headed home. More confuser work until I walked back out around 7pm. "What the....?"

Family around LaGrange said they received nearly 4". If true, that's quite a lot for this far South.

The Corpus Christi area got 7" along the coast where there's more moisture. Should help allieviate some of the soil and aquifer drought we've been having.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: javacontour
As long as we pack ourselves into 1.5 ton vehicles to travel, we will need energy dense fuel sources.

My motorcycle gets 57 mpg....

how come no one is pushing for "energy saving credits" for motorcycle riders?

Absolutely, why don't they push for more motorcycles especially for one person per gallon.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Originally Posted By: Linctex
My motorcycle gets 57 mpg....

how come no one is pushing for "energy saving credits" for motorcycle riders?

Absolutely, why don't they push for more motorcycles especially for one person per gallon.

Given the number of cars that are operating with one person (mine included), absolutely motorcyclists should be LEV...take up 1/4 of the parking space too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back