PEAK Global Lifetime 50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 2 gal of PEAK Global Lifetime 50/50 at BIG K-Mart. BIG!
smile.gif

I never shop at K-M but, I was returning a couple of items that my wife bought. So while I was there I decided to roam through the auto section and tools and see if there were any deals on anything at all. Saw the PGLT 50/50 in the GOLD jugs for $8.99 gal so I grabbed two. I may go back and get 4 more gal's and do complete change overs in all of our cars in the spring/summer.

1)Wifes '01 Lexus has only had Toyota LongLife full strength(drain/refilled twice over the years). Made my own 50/50 w/distilled water...Ready for another.

2)My '04 Altima 2.5 has had one drain/refill since new with PEAK all makes/models any color 50/50.

3)Daughters '6 Mazda3 2.0 drain/refill w/ Peak all makes/models/colors 50/50. I now want to do this car properly in the spring.

I know, I know...Shouldn't mix coolants!

Never really had coolant issues with vehicles, especially from mixing. The only time that I have ever had issues such as HG or IMG, were with vehicles that had these known problems anyway.

I have used every brand of coolant(never knowing what was what) in vehicles cooling systems over the years and in several hundred thousand miles on an engine, the only issue I've had(with the exceptions of those engines with know issues), was with exterior rusted radiator(s) from all of the salt used here in the northeast. The rest of the cooling system. i.e. heater core, T-stat, water pump and gaskets were all fine! Then I sold the car!

I mean, I have replaced some items such as T-stat's and water pumps as PM but, I have also let them go way too long prior to replacement and still no issues. "Too Long" meaning about 150K + and then replaced these items just beacuse(or PM). I know all too many people that replace the water pump(due to failure) prematurly even when staying with the correct coolant.

Any comments?

Last edited:
Seen it there (Kmart) many times when looking at Purolator filters sold there.

Issue for me, as shown it's a 50/50 premix. Meaning paying for half water coolant. Then there is the issue of trying to get a 50% cooling system concentration when doing a system flush. Unless one can find and get to block drains (draining most), getting the 50% concentration is extremely difficult/impossible.

That said, if you don't mind mixing coolant, then I suppose a simple radiator drain and refill with PGL premix will work for you. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own.

IMO, premix is rip off. The only time I consider using is Honda Type2 premix in a Honda, with more frequent then recommended maintenance, using a radiator drain and refill method.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I use this stuff in my Honda's. Never had a problem.

Ditto.
I currently have it in my Buick also.

I wish PEAK would make this coolant (particularly the full strength version) more readily available.
Some have suggested that the PEAK E-L which is readily available is the same stuff (non 2 EHA) but I wouldn't count on it.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Seen it there (Kmart) many times when looking at Purolator filters sold there.

Issue for me, as shown it's a 50/50 premix. Meaning paying for half water coolant. Then there is the issue of trying to get a 50% cooling system concentration when doing a system flush. Unless one can find and get to block drains (draining most), getting the 50% concentration is extremely difficult/impossible.

That said, if you don't mind mixing coolant, then I suppose a simple radiator drain and refill with PGL premix will work for you. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own.

IMO, premix is rip off. The only time I consider using is Honda Type2 premix in a Honda, with more frequent then recommended maintenance, using a radiator drain and refill method.

If I do find Full Strength and buy a gal of Distilled H20, it all comes out about the same money.
Also, I have only been doin a drain/refill these day as to eliminate any air pockets in the cooling system and, it's just easier. I'd rather just do a drain/refill more frequently than a full flush especially in today vehicles.

Last edited:
Quote:
If I do find Full Strength and buy a gal of Distilled H20, it all comes out about the same money.
Difference is, full strength and ~$.90 a gallon distilled at Wally is much less expensive and goes farther than premix. Also, with full system distilled flush, knowing system capacity, makes it easy to get 50% system concentration, and all new coolant.

Never had an issue with air pockets, simple burp(s) of system after flush and coolant fill has worked for me on my vehicles. But, if single radiator drain, and mixing with other coolants works for you, cool. Since you asked for comments, those are mine.

That said, finding full strength PGL is not the easiest task. BIU says some Napa's have it, not mine, or they will order.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Difference is, full strength and ~$.90 a gallon distilled at Wally is much less expensive and goes farther than premix. Also, with full system distilled flush, knowing system capacity, makes it easy to get 50% system concentration, and all new coolant.

Never had an issue with air pockets, simple burp(s) of system after flush and coolant fill has worked for me on my vehicles. But, if single radiator drain, and mixing with other coolants works for you, cool. Since you asked for comments, those are mine.

That said, finding full strength PGL is not the easiest task. BIU says some Napa's have it, not mine, or they will order.

Well, in my area, PGL or Zerex Asian or whatever PepBoys has at the full strength is about $22.00/gal.
I do beleive that the full strength is better as I have done a Hydro reading on the 50/50 and it's a bit weaker out of the gal than anything that I have mixed myself at 50/50

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Well, in my area, PGL or Zerex Asian or whatever PepBoys has at the full strength is about $22.00/gal.
I do beleive that the full strength is better as I have done a Hydro reading on the 50/50 and it's a bit weaker out of the gal than anything that I have mixed myself at 50/50

I got some PGL full strength at Napa about a year ago. It wasnt more than $10 a gallon. Nowhere near $22. I did pay $27+ for toyota red yesterday
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: FL-400S

I got some PGL full strength at Napa about a year ago. It wasnt more than $10 a gallon. Nowhere near $22. I did pay $27+ for toyota red yesterday
frown.gif

FL-400S,
We do have 2 NAPA stores in my area but both are inconviently located and close early during the week and on Saturday/closed on Sunday, which is when I would visit. Or even K-Mart and Walgreens Pharmacy which carry the PGLT, 50/50 are open much longer during the week/weekends.

I may have to call a buddy of mine and ask him if he wants to take a ride to NAPA, early some Saturday. He's like me, he likes to visit autoparts stores and look around. He often buys something just cause we made the visit. I'll give NAPA a look for some full strength PGLT. Hopefully it a good price!

Thanks,
CB

Napa online shows PGLT 50/50 at $10 a gallon and concentrate at $13. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=+antifreeze|peak&Ntk=Keyword|Keyword&N=0

I think for the non popular coolants such as Zerex G05 or Asian formula or Peak Global, Napa is probably the only place that you can go there and buy it in person.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S

frown.gif

FL-400S,
We do have 2 NAPA stores in my area but both are inconviently located and close early during the week and on Saturday/closed on Sunday, which is when I would visit. Or even K-Mart and Walgreens Pharmacy which carry the PGLT, 50/50 are open much longer during the week/weekends.

I may have to call a buddy of mine and ask him if he wants to take a ride to NAPA, early some Saturday. He's like me, he likes to visit autoparts stores and look around. He often buys something just cause we made the visit. I'll give NAPA a look for some full strength PGLT. Hopefully it a good price!

Thanks,
CB

I looked back at my posts and I paid $11.59 a gallon for PGL full strenght at Napa. This was 1 year ago. Sorry about the misinformation.

FL-400S,
Not a problem. Prices change monthly around here. I don't take as gospel any of the prices that people quote. I need to find out what they are in my area. There is usually a buck or two difference in other parts of the country. I'd just like to find products that are equal/better, especially coolant/atf at lesser prices than the dealer charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back