Peak Cool Orange no longer GM DEXCOOL Approved?

I would hardly call Peak, Prestone, SuperTech, etc "Unknown Brands". And the vast majority of people aren't going to need a case of coolant. Your point is well taken though. I think the thread devolved into another subtle bashing of GM's stupid licensing "approved" fluid nonsense that they do to squeeze more money out of companies and possibly use as an excuse to avoid warranties.

How about for top-offs? Feel comfortable using Super Tech Dex-Cool for a top-off?

I usually have some left over from a coolant change to top off with or would open a new bottle of the same stuff, but using a little Super Tech won't hurt it. The more important question is why do you have to add coolant? It's a sealed system. Do you have a leak? A bad head gasket?

I’ve used Prestone DexCool in the ‘18 Transit 250 in my sig, Ford has changed to Specialty Yellow (Prestone AMAM Cor-Guard) and they just dump it in, they don’t even take the Orange out. No issues yet.

Which DEX-COOL is GM factory fill? Conflicting information here:

So is Havoline the factory fill [DEX-COOL]?
It use to be. I can't say for sure if it is now.
Personally I buy just Prestone DexCool since apparently that's what they use for the factory fill.
Here is the reply from Prestone: ... factory fill Dex-Cool that comes in GM vehicles is not a Prestone product...

The SDS for AC Delco Dex Cool says Prestone is the Manufacturer
Interesting, thanks for the link.
1. Do you contend that GM is using ACDelco DEX-COOL as factory fill?
2. Does Prestone put the same coolant into the ACDelco-branded DEX-COOL bottles as its own Prestone-branded DEX-COOL bottles?

Havoline made the original Dex. Ford’s global divisions started procuring it from Havoline/Texaco almost immediately after GM adopted it. I don’t know who currently makes speciality orange stateside.

anyways don’t make it complicated all this stuff is the same.

For something the requires changing only every 100,000 miles, why try to save $5 or $10 on an unknown brand? I get full strength AC Delco Dexcool from a Buick-GMC dealer for $11 when bought by the case.

I am with you 100%. But if we all did that, 75% of bitog's forum posting in coolant and ATF's would disappear. ;)

I get enough head aches trying to decided on which oil is best for me.

Interestingly, Prestone also sells an "American" orange coolant alongside their dexcool.

Prestone® American Vehicles (Orange) Antifreeze+Coolant

Prestone Dex-Cool® Antifreeze+Coolant Ready to Use

Note that the American Orange coolant is ready to use, and I dont see a concentrate option.

The American Orange is rated 10 years/300k, while the Dex is 5/150k.

I suspect that Dex-Cool cannot be licensed if the formulation changes at all, while Prestone is maintaining that their new formulation will work well in this application.

So I suppose Peak is doing the same as Prestone. I suspect that theyve found if they can avoid the license fee and convince a broader set of consumers that this antifreeze is for their cars, they think theyll sell more...

How about for top-offs? Feel comfortable using Super Tech Dex-Cool for a top-off?

I recall seeeing the super tech dexcool once and noticing that it is licensed. To me, that means that there is some level of confidence, and perhaps some restriction on cheapening the product amidst Walmart supplier pricing mandates. I think their ATF+4 and Dex VI are also licensed.

I recall seeeing the super tech dexcool once and noticing that it is licensed. To me, that means that there is some level of confidence, and perhaps some restriction on cheapening the product amidst Walmart supplier pricing mandates. I think their ATF+4 and Dex VI are also licensed.

The Supertech Dexron VI is Dexron approved, but its actually sold as Dexron VI/Mercon LV. I'm more comfortable using regular Dexron VI.

Which DEX-COOL is GM factory fill? Conflicting information here:

Could be different suppliers, the chemistry of the additive package is over 20 years old by now so it wouldn't be covered under patents anymore. Many coolant brands also buy the additive package from a supplier and blend it with EG (and water for ready-mix coolants). I suspect Glysantin (BASF) is the manufacturer of DEX-COOL for the european market.

Could be different suppliers, the chemistry of the additive package is over 20 years old by now so it wouldn't be covered under patents anymore. Many coolant brands also buy the additive package from a supplier and blend it with EG (and water for ready-mix coolants). I suspect Glysantin (BASF) is the manufacturer of DEX-COOL for the european market.
Glysantin G34 is Dexcool as used formerly by Opel and Saab. It is totally redundant and G30 (VW G12+) has taken its role in the aftermarket.

Here in the states Texaco/Havoline was the original provider, but honestly who cares it’s all the same *****

Last edited:
So I decided to do a drain and fill on my 2015 GMC Terrain V6. I had a few Menards rebate coupons so I decided to buy the Coolant there because they sell the Peak Cool orange coolant. However I noticed that when I got home that the bottle no longer has the specific words of it being GM Dexcool approved on in it. It just says for vehicles requiring orange coolant. Other than that the bottle looks identical to the old label that specifically says its for GM vehicles. Even Menards website is still showing the picture of the old label

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...allon/pral53/p-1444449962454-c-10098.htm

Unless I am going blind I do not see Dexcool anywhere on the bottle, see attached pictures

View attachment 23626

View attachment 23627
I believe that the major coolant manufacturers are beginning to rebrand their Dexcool products as "American Vehicle" orange. Within the past several years, Ford has adopted the Dexcool formulation for applications calling for Motorcraft Orange coolant. Chrysler has likewise done the same since 2013, in adopting an OAT long life coolant. In a way, it makes logical sense to change the branding to reflect this, since Dexcool is no longer strictly a GM thing. That way, the product has a wider appeal across the American market since 1 type of coolant covers the whole segment.

I believe that the major coolant manufacturers are beginning to rebrand their Dexcool products as "American Vehicle" orange. Within the past several years, Ford has adopted the Dexcool formulation for applications calling for Motorcraft Orange coolant. Chrysler has likewise done the same since 2013, in adopting an OAT long life coolant. In a way, it makes logical sense to change the branding to reflect this, since Dexcool is no longer strictly a GM thing. That way, the product has a wider appeal across the American market since 1 type of coolant covers the whole segment.
The prestige variant is unobtanium, but I suspect it’s to introduce a variant of their own chemistry, and avoid licensing costs. It is 10/300k vs 5/150k.

Back