pdf reader that doesn't come with pop ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows 8. I tried to download and install adobe reader from their website. After installing it, I'm getting tons of pop-ups and ads. So I re-set the computer to an earlier date, and everything was back to normal. So I then downloaded and installed foxit, and same exact thing happened!

My 8 year old desktop with Windows XP is having less problems then my new laptop! What's going on here?

Windows 8 comes with a PDF reader. It's the reader app. Only bad thing is it's an app so it likes full screen. But it is free, built-in and very fast.

Admittedly, I do not have extensive experience with Windows 8, but I found Sumatra PDF to be very quick and responsive, as well as devoid of ads, in previous editions of Windows.

Originally Posted By: razel
Windows 8 comes with a PDF reader. It's the reader app. Only bad thing is it's an app so it likes full screen. But it is free, built-in and very fast.

Yeah, I tried it but it doesn't seem that great to me. I tried printing one page from a multiple page document and the page came out blank.
frown.gif

did it come with any toolbars?
do you have an antivirus? which one?
try running an eset online scan(its free)
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
are you using firefox or chrome with adblock plus?

sounds like you got some drive by garbage.

Or foxit is now coming with pop-up ads again on the free version.

Adobe works fine for me.
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows 8. I tried to download and install adobe reader from their website. After installing it, I'm getting tons of pop-ups and ads. So I re-set the computer to an earlier date, and everything was back to normal. So I then downloaded and installed foxit, and same exact thing happened!

My 8 year old desktop with Windows XP is having less problems then my new laptop! What's going on here?

edit:
just installed foxit.. had no problems with ads.

Last edited:
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download-free-pdf-viewer.html

"The first time you go to open a PDF on a new Windows machine, you may be greeted with that ever-familiar prompt to install Adobe Reader. Don't do it! Unless compatibility issues force you into using Adobe's reader, you'd be much happier with something fast, light, and simple, like the awesome (and free) SumatraPDF. If you need to edit PDFs, check out our favorite PDF editor, PDF-XChange."

http://lifehacker.com/lifehacker-pack-for-windows-2013-our-list-of-the-best-787533613

Let me guess.... you are running Internet Explorer.
If you are, load Mozilla Firefox 26.0 and then go into Add-ons and download Adblock Plus.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

If you are, load Mozilla Firefox 26.0 and then go into Add-ons and download Adblock Plus.

No. Running Firefox.

No. Running Firefox.

Well then, did you load Adblock Plus? Did you check your Firefox settings in Tools-Options, to see if you are blocking Pop-Ups?

No. Running Firefox.

Well then, did you load Adblock Plus? Did you check your Firefox settings in Tools-Options, to see if you are blocking Pop-Ups?

Pop up blocking is turned on in Firefox.

After installing it and getting all the ads, I did instal adblock. It blocked some of the ads, but on some sites you could still see an outline of an ad. It wasn't perfect by any means.

Since resetting it, I'm not getting any ads/pop ups.

I'm gun shy to try and install Foxit again.

I have never had popup issues associated with the installation of Adobe or any PDF reader? I have Windows 8 and I am running Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.06. Never a popup issue after installing it in IE or FF.

When you installed Adobe Reader did you make sure you unchecked the box to add Google Chrome? Google is notorious for adding tracking/adware stuff to programs you download from them. You think you are getting just a certain thing but they sneaks tuff in all through your system. I detest Google for this. Adobe adds Google [censored] to everything now unless you are sure to uncheck the box.

Look for anything Google related on your system and remove it(JMHO). Use Add/Remove but them do a file search and remove all the scraps that are left behind( and there will be! ).

Also, make sure any Adobe programs you run are not set to auto update. Change it to notify you an update is available. If you let it update on it's own it adds that Google junk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
MarkM66 said:
Also, make sure any Adobe programs you run are not set to auto update. Change it to notify you an update is available. If you let it update on it's own it adds that Google junk.

Good luck in trying to figure out how to do that. I spent an hour the other day and gave up. It's a pretty complicated procedure to change the update settings in Adobe Reader, for casual users of computers and the web.

I have both Adobe Reader and free Sumatra PDF loaded. My default is set to Adobe and I keep it there because I also have Firefox with Adblock Plus and I never get any ads or popups.

The popup blocker in Firefox is not something anyone should depend on to block most-all ads/popups. It's not the best by any means -- not even in the same league as Adblock Plus.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
MarkM66 said:

Good luck in trying to figure out how to do that. I spent an hour the other day and gave up. It's a pretty complicated procedure to change the update settings in Adobe Reader, for casual users of computers and the web.

I have both Adobe Reader and free Sumatra PDF loaded. My default is set to Adobe and I keep it there because I also have Firefox with Adblock Plus and I never get any ads or popups.

The popup blocker in Firefox is not something anyone should depend on to block most-all ads/popups. It's not the best by any means -- not even in the same league as Adblock Plus.

Adobe Reader XI go to Edit>Preferences>Updater then chose do not update.

Easy as pi.

You should check your startup folder as sometimes it there is a program there to check for updates.

Considering Adobe products don't come bundled with anything like what you are describing, are you SURE you got Adobe Reader from adobe.com?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Adobe Reader XI go to Edit>Preferences>Updater then chose do not update.

Easy as pi.

You should check your startup folder as sometimes it there is a program there to check for updates.

Found it.... thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Considering Adobe products don't come bundled with anything like what you are describing, are you SURE you got Adobe Reader from adobe.com?

This is what I think happened. Got it from some download site that buggered the install file up with their own program ad ins. McAfee is one often included along with the ASK tool bar. There are many others. Look at your programs in control panel and see what else was installed on the same date as the Adobe Reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back