PDD files, old software, old computers...new problem

I'm in a long-running Dungeons and Dragons campaign...for many years, the guy running it has been using an elderly PC and Adobe Photo Deluxe(!) (using .pdd files) to make maps. The old PC is on its way out, and PhotoDeluxe has been history for about 15 years. He has a newer laptop and has the files backed up, but nothing supports pdd anymore.

Anyone know a program that can deal with pdd files, or convert them to something else? The thing he needs most is the "layering" capability that PhotoDeluxe has.

Does he have the installer for Photo Deluxe? If it will run (Compatibility Mode is an option) that's probably the path of least resistance.

Supposedly Photoshop and most of the other Adobe CS/CC programs will open it. It would probably be a good idea to convert them to psd(Photoshop) files.

And yes, layers are a big part of what Photoshop does.

When he installed Photo Deluxe, was it a download or on a CD? If he's still got the CD or still has the downloaded installer, he can probably just install it on the new computer.
I think it came with the old PC. I have no idea if it will work on his new PC's OS.

I think it came with the old PC. I have no idea if it will work on his new PC's OS.
If so, the old PC PROBABLY came with a disk that has it on it (if he kept those). Might be worth looking around. I MIGHT have a copy here somewhere, but I'd have to look.

If so, the old PC PROBABLY came with a disk that has it on it (if he kept those). Might be worth looking around. I MIGHT have a copy here somewhere, but I'd have to look.
It's not that, it's more that he has no idea if the new (Win10, I think) PC will run the old software. (I'm pretty sure it was designed for XP.)

Photoshop has a free 2 week trial.

Everything I can find indicates that either Photoshop or another CC program like Illustrator will handle them fine, but there's nothing to lose by trying.

Photoshop has a free 2 week trial.

Everything I can find indicates that either Photoshop or another CC program like Illustrator will handle them fine, but there's nothing to lose by trying.
Well and good...but isn't the full Photoshop like $400?

XP isnt that old. When you have graphics programs designed for dos ( I supported a bobcad 13 install until recently) Bobcad is currently on v34 :)
Then you have major issues.

There are a few site claiming online conversion, just upload the file and it spits out another format, for example:

There are a few site claiming online conversion, just upload the file and it spits out another format, for example:

That's not the big issue. The issue is not having anything else he can use.

Photodeluxe was an entry-level imaging suite that probably came "free" with the XP computer or a scanner or camera. May be hard to find it as stand-alone software.

Would think he has, but if he hasn't, make sure he's looked at the various newer map-making software that's come out in recent years. Some of it is for online tabletop remote playing with some impressive 3-D maps as you play, and of course there's some more typical mapmaking software. Point is, there's dedicated software for such things now if he wants it.

Would think he has, but if he hasn't, make sure he's looked at the various newer map-making software that's come out in recent years. Some of it is for online tabletop remote playing with some impressive 3-D maps as you play, and of course there's some more typical mapmaking software. Point is, there's dedicated software for such things now if he wants it.
Most of that is either less-capable or expensive.

Back