PB and J sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Stay away from anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup if it is the one thing you do. It is horrible on your liver and kidneys and has lasting effects potentially permanently altering your taste buds as well.

I agree... I have my Type II diabetes under control through weight loss and diet and I'm not on medication but when I travel to the U.S. and encounter HFCS in small amounts here/there in things like Ketchup or whatever I still notice my sugar is higher for up to a week after returning. It's still within limits but it raises the average number for me and that is with just the occasional encounter.

Now my spouse who has a sweet tooth and Type II has a heck of a time even with medication keeping his sugar under control after consuming normal amounts of HFCS whereas this doesn't seem to be a problem eating similar here made with real sugar from beets or cane.

I really think that should be banned. Just from personal experiences.

I agree. HFCS should be banned. I notice that when I consume HFCS my sugars stay high, but real cane sugar its a blip and then back to normal.

Thanks for the confirmation!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
About different types of sugars. Is raw brown sugar "healthier" than the cheap white granulated stuff? How about "Sugar In The Raw"?

I understand that brown sugar and sugar in the raw are the same as white sugar, but with the molasses not taken out. If so, it should be cheaper than white sugar since it's easier to produce. Yet for some reason they charge more. I'd rather not reward producers who take advantage of consumers.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Now THIS has me intrigued!! Where do you buy it? I definitely want to give this a try.

They have it at Walmart and Winco.
smile.gif

PBHoney is my older brother's ration. Younger vegan brother's is PBJ, all organic of course. Parents were organic farmers. Dad kept bees.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
As long as the peanut butter is really crunchy I'm content...I detest smooth peanut butter. Rye bread is good too, either what stores around here sell as Jewish Rye, or salted rye from Regina Bakery.

http://reginabake.com/products.php

My latest loaf was a rye loaded with caraway, anise, and dried onion powder. Makes great PBJs in addition to left over turkey.
grin2.gif

I just bought a jar of "grape jelly" called Cascadian Farms Concord Grape Fruit Spread. Here's an ingredient comparison. The first two are my Welches Concord Grape Jam,and the last two are the Cascadian Farms.

I couldn't decide on what peanut butter to buy,buy I almost bought this. I may go with Merk's choice and buy the Laura Scudder's.

Originally Posted By: car51
Mom
And I made cashew butter; you’re right it
Is heavenly :^)

Cashew butter is heaven in a jar! I also read in Men's Health a few years back that cashews are good for testosterone.

*cashews and pecans contain great “healthy” fats as well as the essential fatty acids necessary to boost testosterone levels*.

http://www.mainehomesteadfarm.com/jams-jellies/

I love a good PB and J. I usually use Trader Joe's salted, chunky peanut butter and I try to use a good jelly. No point in eating junk. I found the place linked above on a trip to Maine at the Yarmouth Clam Festival a few years ago. I buy on line a few times a year.
Little off topic, but the Habanero Pepper Jelly is killer on a bagel with cream cheese.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone else mentioned it already, but Bonne Maman preserves are available in most grocery stores around us and their ingredient lists are very appetizing compared to the edible food-like substances other companies produce.

All you organic and "no HFCS" gents can be a real wet blanket!

We are just talking an occasional PB&J sandwich for crying out loud! Live a little and stop worrying. Geesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back