Paypal Pretty Sneaky

Paypal is really sneakily putting the screws to vendors. They pretty much stop and deny funds from people who pay with cards and choose PayPal verses clicking through and choosing to pay with card routed through a vendor’s chosen processor. Then PayPal holds said funds and sends customers to vendor who is powerless to refund or do anything.

The payment did not and will not go through. Paypal should tell the buyer, but of course they don't. They send the buyer to the seller. They will release the funds in a couple days. There is nothing the seller can do - the payment was denied BY THEM. Sometimes it's legit, but now it's all the time. They won't change until the seller has all merchant (card) processing with Paypal.

At this point the ONLY record I have of the financial side of the transaction is a one liner "payment denied" - no other information. If it's an address or zip mismatch I can see that obviously.

In a day or two, seller/vendor will get a "Payment Reversal" notice.

"Payment from Bri Stonewallersteinsi of $25.47 USD on has been reversed" Which isn't even technically true.

7 more days of Paypal. Then it mercifully ends.

This is not the usual Paypal gripe thread. Please only respond if you are a seller, UNDERSTAND and have further knowledge. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
The worst thing PayPal has done to sellers is keep the percentage fee when you refund buyers, I get keeping the 30 cent fee, but keeping the 2.9% when the payment was refunded makes no sense, and is the primary reason I would never take PayPal as a form of payment if I was running a business.

The worst thing PayPal has done to sellers is keep the percentage fee when you refund buyers, I get keeping the 30 cent fee, but keeping the 2.9% when the payment was refunded makes no sense, and is the primary reason I would never take PayPal as a form of payment if I was running a business.
Indeed great point. I think that started in 2021. Complete rip off.

We have/had a customer base paying 40-50% PayPal by own metrics since 2008.

Back