PayPal phishing email...Alert

This a.m. had an inbox email from "PayPal Assistant", basically saying my account was compromised, unauthorized activity, account temporary deactivated, yada yada. Had a link "To Account" button at bottom to supposedly check and reactivate.

Email appeared very official and well written, not spelling errors I could detect. BUT, I did NOT click on link. Rather I went straight to my PayPal acct to check, and all is well, no unauthorized activity, no messages from PayPal. Then checked help and how to report. Forwarded email to spoof at paypal.com

Interesting thing, when I went back to the email, all wording had changed and almost unintelligible wording, but basic idea was still there. So went back to inbox, then opened email and for brief second original email could be seen. Odd. Sent email to trash.

Just yesterday watched on CNBC how a couple using Coinbase for crypto got a similar type email or text and clicked on link, Mistake. Hackers got their info and drained account. Doubtful I would have clicked on email fake PP link, but it was a good reminder.

Lesson, Be Careful. Check with company first before doing anything else. Don't panic, don't click on email links.

Last edited:
I just took the anti phishing training from Kevin Mitnick yesterday and he talked about this exact technique.

Good to know.

I think in the beginning, you could click on any link and they would try and have you enter personal info.
But today, that link you clink on could be disguised and really mean "click here to let us look in your computer".

I just took the anti phishing training from Kevin Mitnick yesterday and he talked about this exact technique.
I went to high school with Kevin Mitnick and hung out with him quite often. I too get these PayPal phishing emails numerous times a week. The more I get the more I'm inclined to delete my PayPal account all together.

The dummies clearly have my name but keep sending these notifications to an email address that I know is not associated with my PayPal account. Kind of comical how they try.

I went to high school with Kevin Mitnick and hung out with him quite often. I too get these PayPal phishing emails numerous times a week. The more I get the more I'm inclined to delete my PayPal account all together.
Did he have evil genius vibe in high school?

I have received these emails every few days for the past few years. You can hover over the links and look at the URL address and most will be some bogus address. Probably to a Russian or Chinese server.

Always ignore urgent emails. I get a ton of them too.
I dont click on them, never.
If a "subject line" catches your attention delete the email (or if you have a outlook/live/hotmail account you can report it as a phishing email) and contact the company on your own. Never use the contact info in the email which you shouldn't be opening anyway.

I get these emails also about "my" paypal account has been compromised and click on the attached link to "correct" it. Funny thing is I never had a paypal account :rolleyes:.

Did he have evil genius vibe in high school?
He was a nice person. We knew about his skills as he was always winning concert tickets by being the certain caller to call into the radio station. He also told a few people that we knew that their phones were being monitored by the police. Apparently he had hacked the phone company.

The fact that the email made it to my inbox, and not to spam was a little surprising and likely got my attention here. Afaik, first such email that has made it to inbox. Here is the reply I got from PayPal after reporting to spoof at paypal. One thing that stood out is, if PP contacts you, they will use first and last name. Email just had email address.

Dear ----,

Thanks for letting us know about the suspicious email you received. We
will investigate it. If you clicked on any links or downloaded any
attachments within the suspicious website, log into your PayPal account
and view your account activity. If you see any unauthorized
transactions, go to the Resolution Center to report it. It's also a good
idea to change your password.

Additional Information & Help

Due to COVID-19, there has been an increase in fraudulent email
messages. We recommend that you exercise caution to verify the
authenticity of all emails prior to clicking on any links. Authentic
PayPal e-mails will always include your first and last name, or your
business name.

If you are reporting an issue with a transaction or donation that you
made, or if you would like to report a fraudulent payment request,
please contact us through the Resolution Center.

You can learn more about fake websites and spoof by visiting our Help
Center. Click Help & Contact on any page and then search for "fake
websites and emails" and "spoof". You can also find help on changing
your password and viewing your account activity in the Help Center.

Thanks for being a PayPal customer,
PayPal Security

Back