Pay it forward

I live in small town Iowa. Around 5000 population. (too big for me...LOL. Grew up in smaller town of 1000)

Anyway, I was on Facebook today, which I seldom do. Good community where I live, great people for the most part. In fact, couple months ago at the grocery store, my credit card was having a chip malfunction. Tried it like 3 times and no go. Nice young lady about 30 years old behind me said to the cashier, just ring it up on me please. Probably thought I was a broke old man, or just tired of waiting! LOL I'm 66 years old.

VERY kind gesture on her part! I thanked her much. Only about $60 in food, but she offered to pay. I had plenty of cash, just use the credit card for the cash back. Whipped out a $100 bill and paid.

The big thing around here now is paying it forward. Pay for that $8.00 cup of fancy coffee behind you in line (that you could brew at home for $1.00) or McDonalds drive thru over priced crap.

Someone suggested on Facebook, and I thought it was a great idea. Instead of paying for fancy coffee or a $10.00 McDonalds breakfast...contact your local school. Offer that $10.00 to some kid who is behind on their lunch money.

They are the ones who need it. Not the folks willing to pay $8.00 for a cup of coffee! Wish I could take credit for the idea.:(

I live in small town Iowa. Around 5000 population. (too big for me...LOL. Grew up in smaller town of 1000)

Anyway, I was on Facebook today, which I seldom do. Good community where I live, great people for the most part. In fact, couple months ago at the grocery store, my credit card was having a chip malfunction. Tried it like 3 times and no go. Nice young lady about 30 years old behind me said to the cashier, just ring it up on me please. Probably thought I was a broke old man, or just tired of waiting! LOL I'm 66 years old.

VERY kind gesture on her part! I thanked her much. Only about $60 in food, but she offered to pay. I had plenty of cash, just use the credit card for the cash back. Whipped out a $100 bill and paid.

The big thing around here now is paying it forward. Pay for that $8.00 cup of fancy coffee behind you in line (that you could brew at home for $1.00) or McDonalds drive thru over priced crap.

Someone suggested on Facebook, and I thought it was a great idea. Instead of paying for fancy coffee or a $10.00 McDonalds breakfast...contact your local school. Offer that $10.00 to some kid who is behind on their lunch money.

They are the ones who need it. Not the folks willing to pay $8.00 for a cup of coffee! Wish I could take credit for the idea.:(
Great idea. In CA, we have a surplus from tax revenue. We decided to offer free school lunch to every student. This takes away the shame of having to get a free school lunch due to financial difficulties and promotes comradery over division.

Bring it up on Facebook where the "pay if forward" got traction.

@Jdeere562 - That is just "Iowa Nice"

From your user name, I'm guessing you have been here most of your life. I'm smack dab in the middle here just north of DSM. It's a great place to have a family!

GO CYCLONES!!!
Right on Iowans. Have seen that in action here and have done it myself. I always try to pick up the check of uniformed patrons at our local restaurants. Have the Army and Marines checked off, but haven't had another opportunity to make someone's day since the epidemic. There is always tomorrow. Thanks for your kindness neighbors.

Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/greenacreslyrics.html

@Jdeere562 - That is just "Iowa Nice"

From your user name, I'm guessing you have been here most of your life. I'm smack dab in the middle here just north of DSM. It's a great place to have a family!

GO CYCLONES!!!
Born and raised in Iowa, lived here all my life! Live in SW Iowa now, near Council Bluffs. Or Council-Tucky as some may say!;)

I'm not in the city though, that would be depressing. I grew up in a town of about 1000. Exira, Iowa to be exact.

Bunch of hard working farmers there.

My Brother lives in Exira still and takes care of my 94 year old Father. God bless his heart!(y)

For boredom in the winter, they have a "hunt challenge". I forget what all, but pretty much it includes. Bring in a coyote, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, quail. Tie breaker is a live opossum...LOL!

Little Brother and his hunting buddy won last year. The had all except the live opossum. Meet at the local bar 4:00 PM for results and a few beers.

Wish I still lived there to participate!

My alma mater - the campus has changed a ton in the last 30 years, but central campus still looks exactly the same. I always enjoy walking the campus on a mild fall day with the leave crunching under foot. Memories.
Good on you, Sir. Go Cyclones!

Pay it forward was also a good movie. I've always believed in helping people who are helping themselves. I'm willing to do hand ups but not hand outs.

I personally have posted about me doing this a few times. I still see the folks I helped, they are doing ok also

Great idea. In CA, we have a surplus from tax revenue. We decided to offer free school lunch to every student. This takes away the shame of having to get a free school lunch due to financial difficulties and promotes comradery over division.

What about the homeless problem in the streets ?

We eat at a small local Diner about once a week or so . On two different occasions there was an older gentleman there wearing one of those black ballcaps with the WWII VETERAN " logo . I told his server to bring me his ticket and just tell him that it had been taken care of . We do the same for LEO or a service member in uniform .

Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/greenacreslyrics.html
LMAO. After teaching school and taking care of her mother, each night the wife tells me "lets watch some mindless humor" and she tunes into the station that shows Green Acres. At first I would pass out sleeping. It finally caught me a while back with some huge laughs. Now I can stay awake and enjoy the insanity with her. We get a kick out of the towns people where they live.

I help someone jump start their car in the Walmart parking lot this morning before worked and their car did start so I did my good deed for the day. I do wonder if this could be its own form of paying it forward.

I stress to them that they really shouldn't turn the car off because I've been there and done that.

Back