Credit card principal question.

our CU offers 6.9% rates on CC for well qualified members

personally, I've never looked for low APR credit cards because we do not carry balance

we pay for everything we can by CC, only interested in cash back CC

also, I've never pay $1 in interest on CC

At the moment, all my money is only stored on a bank card, because recently I was robbed and all my cash was taken. Since then, I have all the money I have only on the card so that there will be no more such incidents. Moreover, even though I am an American, I like German banks. I like them because you can negotiate a loan there at a minimum interest rate. So they also give me an application that allows me to monitor my bank account. And you don't have to pay for it, can you imagine!? Isn't that cool?
I have that with Fidelity. Their app is free. I actually set it up to do a margin account. They actually charge 7-8% on the margin account but I was able to call them up and negotiate a much lower interest rate, I think it was 2.25% the last time I set it up. I think they said that was a discount off the prime rate so I guess it could change if the prime rate changed. You had to have over a certain amount to get that rate though. You could ways just do a margin account with Interactive Brokers which I think is 1.56% and Robinhood is 2.5%.

Forget the points....get the cash back. 2% cash back x 120.000. = 2400 cashback per year. 2% cash back x 300,000 = 6,000 cash back per year.
The 4x points on restaurants and grocery stores and 3x points on flights are hard to beat on the Amex and the value of a point with some of their transfer partners is also hard to beat. With three teens we spend close to $20K per year on groceries and another $5K eating out - that alone if 100K points plus another 100K at 1 point per dollar.

As for the business card - it's a partnership and while technically cashback helps the business it gets paid from the business checking and it's easier to have points that I can separate out for myself and use personally. I mean I guess I could cut myself a check for the cashback value on the corporate card but whatever - the Chase points can also be valuable. I can also transfer Amex points to the chase account for a buttload of Chase Ultimate rewards points.

In the end, it's +500K points per year.

Last edited:
Back