Pay for a PPI or let it be?

Welp, I just called my local BMW dealership before my appt (wed.) to see if they can do an in-warranty inspection (the factory warranty on my car expires March 2023. CPO kicks in after).

The service advisor said if I am not noticing anything out of the ordinary (which I am not), there will be a $190 charge. The $190 charge would be for a PPI. Thinking about if I should pay my indy to do a PPI or the BMW dealership. Or, if I should even bother with either
😂

For reference, I've got a 19 540 with 33k miles on it.

Welp, I just called my local BMW dealership before my appt (wed.) to see if they can do an in-warranty inspection (the factory warranty on my car expires March 2023. CPO kicks in after).

The service advisor said if I am not noticing anything out of the ordinary (which I am not), there will be a $190 charge. The $190 charge would be for a PPI. Thinking about if I should pay my indy to do a PPI or the BMW dealership. Or, if I should even bother with either
😂

For reference, I've got a 19 540 with 33k miles on it.

Unbeknownst to me dealers are prohibited from "finding" warranty work. So I would be specific (ex , my heat seems cold, is there a leak at the oil pan?). OR you could pay an indy shop to perform a PPI and then use that information to submit a warranty claim at the dealership.

I'm guessing the BMW dealer would have an incentive NOT to find warranty work.
the moral hazard is there even if not all of them are crooks. If the OP is paying, pay someone who HAS an incentive to find things wrong if that's the goal.

Waste of time, you're in warranty after the factory expires. BMW has no desire to pay on their dime to look for little issues with it.

Now if you had an extended warranty, that would be different.

To add on to the excellent recommendations, look at the NHTSA TSBs list for your specific vehicle. Its lists issues that are just enough to compel mfgs to address in warranty, but not enough to compel them for a recall/fix out of warranty.

Why go to the dealer for the PPI? Go to an indy, get a PPI, then anything it needs have fixed under warranty. 🙃. That said, I doubt at 33k miles it actually has anything wrong with it if you don't notice anything.
That seems to be pretty common and makes a lot of sense, especially if you were the company handling the warranty.
Exactly. Even if they find something, they usually have to mention it discreetly and tell you to make a separate trip with the complaints. ;)

Exactly. Even if they find something, they usually have to mention it discreetly and tell you to make a separate trip with the complaints. ;)
Eh, I got a month before my factory warranty expires. Either I'll pay my indy $100 for a PPI or a month or two before CPO expires, I'll pay to get a PPI down. The car will have more than 33k miles on it. My other fear is paying my indy $100, they find that something is wrong. I take it to BMW and BMW charges me to look at it also :ROFLMAO:

I'll take the PPI sheet with me to the BMW dealership.
No, memorize the concerns, go to the dealer and get them documented and checked. You can tell them "your mechanic" found an issue or two and advised you "that will be covered under warranty" and he/she advised you to bring it in. If you give them a laundry list of "repairs", don't presume they'll happily take care of them. They don't get as much to do warranty work as regular repair work and some places will prioritize warranty work lower (and recall work even lower).

Back