Pawn shop find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about a pistol caliber carbine , 9 x 19mm or .45 ACP . Ran across A .45 ACP Hi Point carbine at a pawn shop and placed it on lay a way .

I handled a Hi Point hand gun , years ago . Was not impressed , favorably . HEAVY & blocky and not attractive . But cheap .

The carbine seems to be OK , other than being ugly and a little heavy , for what it is .

My research indicates they are reliable ( with factory mags ) , accurate ( for a pistol caliber weapon ) and hart to field strip for cleaning . ( Videos I have watched do not seem that difficult to clean . )

I do not need one . Just a plinker for an afternoon at the range . A big boy " toy " .

I load for .45 ACP & 9 x 19 mm & have ammo & components on hand . So , relatively cheap to shoot .

Then , the 500 pound gorilla in the room , the purchase price ( especially used guns ) are hard to ignore . Oh , did I mention the lifetime warranty . No matter if purchased new or used .

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Hi Point carbines ? Please chime in ! :)

Thanks ,

I have always wanted a 9mm carbine for coyotes and feral dogs.

"Typical" factory .223 loads are just so hot for that job. I always thought a 9mm carbine would be ideal.

I have a "few" of them in various calibers. They are more fun then should be allowed when it comes to shooting. I have a bunch of AR/AK snob friends, and I am one of them, and when I take my carbines out and they see them for the first time everyone laughs. Now they ALL own them. Serious great value and fun.

Edit: Be sure to check prices online, they are super cheap. I wouldn't pay over $300 for a new one. Used probably $200-225 range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by c502cid
I I have a bunch of AR/AK snob friends.

The thought of an AK snob makes me laugh, like being a Harbor Freight tool snob?! I owned a HiPoint 9mm for a while and can report it worked fine. Tried to like it but just too crude of a piece of equipment, sold it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have always wanted a 9mm carbine for coyotes and feral dogs.

"Typical" factory .223 loads are just so hot for that job. I always thought a 9mm carbine would be ideal.

I load for 9 x 19 mm & .45 ACP for handgun . So have ammo & components . Cast my own bullets . Makes it relatively cheap to shoot . One of the reason I wanted a pistol caliber carbine .

I chose .45 ACP because , if it ever hits the fan ( God forbid ) , .45 had greater terminal effects than 9mm .

I have other choices for greater distances .

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I I have a bunch of AR/AK snob friends.

The thought of an AK snob makes me laugh, like being a Harbor Freight tool snob?! I owned a HiPoint 9mm for a while and can report it worked fine. Tried to like it but just too crude of a piece of equipment, sold it.

An AK is not crude ? :)

Wyr
God bless

I'm a fan of pistol caliber carbines since really I just do a lot of plinking on our land. I haven't shot the Hi-Point carbine yet but I have two Beretta CX9s. If I could only own one gun, that's what I would keep.

I picked up a used Hi Point 995TS (9 mm) a few months ago at my local gun range for $199. I wasn't really looking for one but was intrigued by the price. It shoots great. It is a bit heavy and a little ugly but it seemed to eat up any ammo I fed it without a single hiccup. It's simple to use and it goes bang every time. I'm pleased with it.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
An AK is not crude ? :)
Wyr
God bless

Not compared to a HiPoint. An AK is made to wage war with. A HiPoint is made to go bang as cheap as possible. Nothing wrong with either.

You think there aren't snobs of AK's? Lots of AK's out there that are very very collectible. A few are better shooters than some of my cheaper AR's. The gun crowd is the most snobbish crowd around when it comes to brand and gun loyalty.

You think there aren't snobs of AK's? Lots of AK's out there that are very very collectible.

And still made in a shovel factory. Collectible doesn't mean not crude.

A few are better shooters than some of my cheaper AR's. .

Kind of makes a point eh?

AK's run the gamut in quality. You can purchase a $450.00 AK from Century Arms. Or you can buy a $1,500.00 Bulgarian, forged receiver, milled AK from Arsenal. And just about anything and everything in between. Not every AK is made in a cave, by guys that smell, and have oily beards.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You think there aren't snobs of AK's? Lots of AK's out there that are very very collectible.

And still made in a shovel factory. Collectible doesn't mean not crude.

A few are better shooters than some of my cheaper AR's. .

Kind of makes a point eh?

As I said before, The gun crowd is the most snobbish crowd around when it comes to brand and gun loyalty. Yes, you just made my point.

The carbine I picked out at the pawn shop was used , missing the front sight post and the rear sight assembly . I suspect the previous owner had a scope or red dot on it .

Last Tuesday , I think , I called the factory . After lunch I received the whole front sight assembly , rear sight assembly , adjustment tool , sling , paper work & and possibly something else I can not remember . Free of charge - lifetime warranty . Can not beat that ! :)

Originally Posted by billt460
AK's run the gamut in quality. You can purchase a $450.00 AK from Century Arms. Or you can buy a $1,500.00 Bulgarian, forged receiver, milled AK from Arsenal. And just about anything and everything in between. Not every AK is made in a cave, by guys that smell, and have oily beards.

Mine is a Norinco , Chi-Com stamped sheet metal . It goes bang and the little pointedy thing comes out of the end of the tube .

Suits me .

Mine is a Norinco , Chi-Com stamped sheet metal . It goes bang and the little pointedy thing comes out of the end of the tube. Suits me .

Norinco / Polytech Chinese manufactured AK's are some of the best. Especially the milled receiver versions. The price on them went sky high after the Bush / Clinton ban in the 90's. Look at what a new in the box, unfired Polytech Legend AK goes for today. You will fall over.

Even the Norinco M1-A clone rifles are fetching big bucks. A lot of guys swear their castings are superior to Springfield's. I remember when you could by them by the boxcar load for $550.00 each. All of them came with beautifully fit Walnut furniture.

AK's are stone cold killing machines . If they have any beauty , it is in the eye of the beholder . Close to impossible to beat them , as long as it is used as it was intended .

So is the M1 Garand .

Originally Posted by billt460
Mine is a Norinco , Chi-Com stamped sheet metal . It goes bang and the little pointedy thing comes out of the end of the tube. Suits me .

Norinco / Polytech Chinese manufactured AK's are some of the best. Especially the milled receiver versions. The price on them went sky high after the Bush / Clinton ban in the 90's. Look at what a new in the box, unfired Polytech Legend AK goes for today. You will fall over.

Even the Norinco M1-A clone rifles are fetching big bucks. A lot of guys swear their castings are superior to Springfield's. I remember when you could by them by the boxcar load for $550.00 each. All of them came with beautifully fit Walnut furniture.

I had a Chi-Com M-14 semi auto . Headspace was a little looser than I cared for , so I sold it . I always read the receivers were forged , not cast . My M1A is a cast receiver .

Took the 4595TS Carbine to the range last Saturday morning . My old eyes were not cooperating well . :-(

The carbine had 1 jam . I think because I " forced " the last round into the magazine . After clearing the jam , it continued to shoot fine .

Using my reloads , misc brass , Bullseye powder , sale priced primers and 230 grain Lee RNL home cast bullets .

I am satisfied with the fit and function . Sighting is going to require more work / time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back