patches = lint when oiling exteriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have two different types of cotton patches:
Kleen bore bulk cotton patches and Brownells square patches. Both are 100% cotton flannel, etc.

They work well enough for the bore cleaning jobs, but say I want to put a light coat of oil on the exterior of a gun - I can't seem to get the oil on and then wiped dry with a clean patch without leaving little strands of lint. On the exterior this is fine, but inside of actions, etc., this is an issue.

What is the suggested solution? Is there something better to oil with?

Also, is my technique correct to oil then wipe dry with a clean patch? Or, am I removing too much oil? If I dont do this, then the coating of oil gets very mottled when the weapon sits on anything, like in craft paper or in a case. I assume if you can see liquid oil, then its on too thick, right?

Ill be getting eezox soon, so that I dont have to worry about things too much.

WOuld it be smart or OK to wipe down the whole gun with a silicone cloth after oiling and drying it, so that I can remove all the patch lint and add another protective layer? WIll this just end up removing all the oil that was supposed to be on there protecting?

Thanks very much,

JMH

I use old cotton t-shirts that I rip up to make rags. Good for wiping-down metal surfaces. With Eezox, you only need to leave a light film on the surface to protect it.

I know this is an old thread but worthwhile to bring back to the front.

I never had too much issue with this until I just got my first parkerized firearm, now lint everywhere. Typically I use ripped up t-shirts soaked in oil (equivalent to soaked and rung out) or a paper towel that I have oiled and squeezed together to distribute the oil. This will leave a coat on the firarm that doesn't run but leaves it shiny. The white fibers everywhere are definitely annoying, they take away from the cool factor but probably no real impact.

Far as internal parts go, I use a needle oiler like Brownells has to limit the amount of oil being used, work the part, and wipe off the excess. Haven't seen any internals parkerized...

I've got a synthetic chamois, chopped into about a 4x4 square.

It's got lanolin, petroleum jelly, and ATF (about 1:1:2 ratio) impregnated into it.

Kept in a ziplock bag.

I use the Brownells micro-fiber 3" patches. No lint in the bore of my shotguns and no lint in the ports in the barrels. Brownells part number is 084-000-145. I cut the larger patches to use in smaller gauge and caliber barrels. Not cheap but a much better product than the 100% cotton patches.

I don't like flannel patches for that reason. The ones I use are knit cotton made by Southern Bloomer Mfg Co. At least all my larger size patches that are useful for use by hand are knit. The small .22 stuff is flannel because I didn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back