Passenger side tires wearing faster

Earlier this month, I took my Explorer to Discount Tire for a tire rotation / consultation for new tires. The stock Hankooks are known for wearing quickly and the manufacturer prorates for it. Anyhow, I go out with the advisor as he checked my tires and he noticed that my passenger side tires were 4/32nd while the drive side tires were 5/32nd. I always rotate between 5k-10k, front to back at DT. When I asked him why they didn't wear the same, he responded that the axle lengths were different and that causes uneven wear, left to right. Not sure if this is true but he said it like he had been asked that question before without hesitation.

Not sure on your Mazda, but I noticed this on all the Acura’s I worked on. Right front wears more that left front. Engine is on the right side of the engine bay, so there was more weight on the right front. This also means the least weight would be on the left rear, and the left rear would see the least wear. This is why it is important to do a front to back, then cross to the front rotation to get even tire wear. Each tire needs to see time on each corner of the car if possible.

Back