Parts store stupid customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Originally Posted By: pkunk
JHZR2 said:
somewhere near 50% of the population is below average...
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

And 50% of doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class; now pick one to work on your problem

I had to explain to a doctor how to proceed with removing hemorrhoids. What half did he come from? The local clinic closed

I go into my local O'Reilley Auto parts not expecting what to happen. Some guys are good and some suck. I usually look up the part before hand so I am familiar with it. I don't go there for their knowledge. What irks me is people that move like slugs. The store I go to is a hub and they are busy. Some guys are so freaking slow it kills me.

We get that at the hardware store where I work too. People want to order parts for their lawn mowers. Our system will not let you go anywhere without a model number and serial number. Mowers with of the same model number will sometimes switch parts, depending on the serial number range. We get customers all the time that when asked for model and serial number, "It's the one I bought last fall. You have record of it.". No. No we don't. We don't keep records of the products you buy. If you have a charge account, we might be able to look up a receipt. But that does not have the model and serial number.

By and large, the American populace is inundated with lazy bloated idiots who think that we have everything at our fingertips because we live an a technologically advanced age. Many are too lazy or too dumb to function in society, and whats worse, most have a sense of entitlement. A friend of mine purchased a new vehicle with factory warranty. The local dealer is honest and he and his business are held in high regard in our community. My friend had a part failure after the 3yr/36ki mile factory warranty. She bad mouthed the dealer for "cheating her" because she had to pay for a repair when the vehicle was out of warranty. "Well, it should have lasted longer. They can build cars better than this".

Originally Posted By: addyguy

To top it off, they think if you can't help them, if they 'threaten' you, it will work - 'If my husband has to come in because you gave me the wrong part, he will be very upset'

My response would be "excellent, maybe he will know what car he has and can order the right part".

I have no tolerance for people who treat others with disrespect because of their own ignorance. It isn't your fault she has no clue what to do.

For the record, whenever I order parts in the store (which is rare), I look up what I need online and give the counter guy a part number. Everyone has a smartphone, it isn't that hard to figure out what parts you need in the online catalog before going up to the counter. If you can't figure out what part you need, then you probably shouldn't be fixing it yourself.
21.gif

Don't feel bad it happens in the gun business too.
Guy goes to the website and orders unrelated parts. Gets great service.
Then f'bombs me over email I sent him the wrong parts when he never contacted me prior and just bought stuff
that was not for his gun even though the models it fit are clearly stated.
I think they do this to get "how to" info as my website explains in excruciating detail that we offer no how to info and we
supply parts only to the trade. In the end none of that matters because no one reads and nothing pertains to them because they are simply them..... meaning, they are "special"

Been doing this for 40 years. There is no resolution- trust me.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
..... Where practicable I usually always look up the part before hand so I am familiar with it. I don't go there for their knowledge.....

This...Just edited that to reflect my similar procedure and thoughts. I treat the b&m AP stores the same way I would the online parts sales places like Rock Auto, Amazon or online OEM dealer sales. If I don't order online for store pick up which is my preferred method, I do the research and know what I want when I walk in the store door. That way I'm rarely disappointed or frustrated with the service. Keeps the time in store to a minimum, and generally leave satisfied using that procedure.

With the possible exception of local Napa, I've found the service/knowledge base at AZ, AAP, O'R and PB to be about the same. The latter two, very infrequent visits.

Went in to a local AP store looking for a rear drum brake spring for my Ford F series. Guy looks and says they carry NO brake parts at all for Ford pickups.
I of course said that can't be, Ford pickups are the number one selling vehicle in the world.....
So he spins the monitor around and shows me.

Sure enough, it doesn't show any BREAK parts.

Originally Posted By: Vstrom
Went in to a local AP store looking for a rear drum brake spring for my Ford F series. Guy looks and says they carry NO brake parts at all for Ford pickups.
I of course said that can't be, Ford pickups are the number one selling vehicle in the world.....
So he spins the monitor around and shows me.

Sure enough, it doesn't show any BREAK parts.

Education system fail.
crazy.gif

...Sure enough, it doesn't show any BREAK parts.

lol.gif
That's pretty good. However on a related note, there is a thread starter here this month regarding "squeaky breaks."
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: addyguy
To top it off, they think if you can't help them, if they 'threaten' you, it will work - 'If my husband has to come in because you gave me the wrong part, he will be very upset'

That's when you laugh in there face and tell them to go bring his pansy self in there,because you know he's a total puss if this grown man is sending his wife to go run his errands.

right because it's not possible for me to be broke down at my shop when the shaft on my power steering pulley broke in half or broke down on the side of the road and I need my wife to bring me a part. Or a Parts person screws up and gives you the wrong oil filter for your application and you don't have any way of knowing this till after you've pulled it off. Sometime inconvenient things happened sure glad my wife is a good enough woman to back me up on anything I need

Last edited:
to add to that there was the parts person that made a nasty comment to my sister who went up there to bail me out in another situation apparently it wasn't the first time he had made a nasty comment to a woman who was up there to bail out a customer who needed parts yeah he no longer works there I assure you.... come to find out when I got a phone call after the store closed at night the regional manager for the company was a woman!.... whoops imagine you can see the problem there

I've never put any emotion into a post on here that I can recall , I am big into politics but not into the male-female thing.
I am a truck driver if a woman can drive that truck as well as I can so be it. My wife is a police officer I assure you she's better with her gun then most the male officers, she doesn't play the male-female thing either she simply feels that if she is capable Let It Be. In my wife's words her being woman has nothing to do with her capabilities. go home and tell your wife she's not capable of going and doing something like picking up a part for you, I guess you're not capable of going to the grocery store and get some eggs and milk either...pansies

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
No matter how smart you are and how hard you try theres just no way to please 100% of the public.

Yup! Some smaller a niche businesses are starting to follow the "customer IS NOT always right" and firing their customers and encouraging them to scream about it on social media because it actually drives new business their way.

That's when you laugh in there face and tell them to go bring his pansy self in there,because you know he's a total puss if this grown man is sending his wife to go run his errands.

That really has nothing to do with it. My GF knows more about cars than most guys I know, and fixes small things on her own vehicles. I would have no problem sending her to pick something up for me, she has gotten the correct parts in the past for her own vehicles.

The issue is the threatening. If I'm a counter person trying to help, the customer shouldn't attempt to threaten me and make me feel small because they are ignorant about what they need. You can help people, but you certainly can't think FOR them.

... Sure enough, it doesn't show any BREAK parts.
That guy evidently learned spelling on BITOG, considering how many BITOG posters spell it that way.

Last edited:
My comment was aimed the douche bags who "slap their old ladies around" and make them wait on them hand and foot,order them around,etc. My girlfriend is an attorney,so I definitely know "strong tough women" haha
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
so I definitely know "strong tough women"
laugh.gif

Sometimes those are the most fun.
wink.gif

AMEN!!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back