Parts Price Inflation

Yeah, I don't know what's up with McDonalds... If I take the family there, we are averaging close to $10 a person.

Back when I was a youngster, there was a BK in my town that had $1 Whoppers all the time...! Taco Bell seems to be the cheapest fast food I know of. Also it's delicious, sorry haters.

Anyway, I don't feel like the Rockauto general parts prices have been hit with the "Putin Price Hike" or "Bidenflation" (depending on your political views) like everything else has been this last year or two.

Exactly. And it is sort of a terrible feeling when you throw down $40 for very basic food at McDonald's. Sort of puts a pit in your stomach. At that price, I'd rather just grab some prepackaged food at the grocery store.

This is why a person needs to stock up on parts for vehicles your going to keep. Same goes for other items you will need for the vehicle, oil etc.

A radiator which I purchased in January 2022 off Amazon is $60 higher now. I am sure prices will continue to go up.

The cupholder in my car broke again (poor design). In 2016, I got a genuine Lexus part for $140 on eBay. Not sure what the list was but into the $200's.

When it broke again this summer, I looked, and eBay was $190. List was $29x., so I was shocked it was that much more.

Luckily, I got one also brand new OE, on eBay, from Japan, for $114 to my front door. The only thing is it's black, not beige. But the black color piece can be unscrewed, and I can put the beige in. Oddly, it literally took 8 days from when I placed to order, to my door, so I was able to avoid the $190 price.

Oh, here's an example. I replaced my wife's front motor mount with GM OE, and got it on amazon for $80 in 2020. It's now like $109. Since the OE failed at 90k, maybe it's not worth it. Aftermarket can still be had for $40, and I bet shops use those...

One thing I feel fortunate about, our HVAC broke in summer 2019. Replaced it summer 2020. Timing. The same system today would be at least $5.5k more judging by online list pricing. It already cost a small fortune, that would be insult to injury lol

I used to use that app quite a bit but I guess I eat a lot less fast food since the lockdowns.

I remember the app being slow and clunky but that was on my old phone, lol. I think that kind of shopping app is always bloated, laggy, and crashy though.

Now if I'm out and I need a cheap meal, I use the Taco Bell app to get the $5 box deal.
interesting thing is there is no more anything for $1 except a small soda. But also the deals got worse. Free large fries with $1 purchase became free large fries with $2 purchase. Everytime the Eagles or Phillies win, it's free Big Mac or free Crispy Chicken respectively. Used to be just plain free. Now, it's with a $1 purchase. The points system is interesting, no idea how but I have 14,000, and it takes 6k for a Big Mac.

Lastly, the interesting thing about McDonald's is how a family owns every one in our area, and the service is consistently poor. People using their phones in plain sight, when cars are wrapped around the building. I know I'm dating myself, but I'm surprised how poor the work is for $17/hour. One would think $17/hr is enough to at least get decent employees, I mean they're likely in HS.

Don't really pay much attention as I rarely buy the same part again for any particular car. An oil filter from the dealer has been $5-$6 for years. Platinum or iridium spark plugs about the same. Mobil 1 at Walmart regularly goes on sale at $22 a jug and even the regular price isn't much changed over time.
I just looked at the spark plug, ILZKAR7E11S, for a Honda Accord from an online dealer MSRP $39.63, $27.32. That is for a single plug. I don't know what it used to be but $27.32 a piece seems like close to a 50% inflation. I have 123k miles on the car now and looking to change the plugs. I'll check the plugs in the car this spring to see if they deemed "need to replace" or not. It is an 17 HAH.

I just looked at the spark plug, ILZKAR7E11S, for a Honda Accord from an online dealer MSRP $39.63, $27.32. That is for a single plug. I don't know what it used to be but $27.32 a piece seems like close to a 50% inflation. I have 123k miles on the car now and looking to change the plugs. I'll check the plugs in the car this spring to see if they deemed "need to replace" or not. It is an 17 HAH.
just a thought.. Checked NGK for their part number on that plug, NGK 96509, found it is $16.49 each at my local NAPA dealer.. That's not a bad savings! I've been buying all my plugs from NAPA lately, can't take the chance of the rumored fakes on Amazon.. Plus what's nice is I can examine the plugs before I buy them!

EDIT: also.. had to add that Honda has been getting crazy with price hikes on their parts lately.. been going on like this since they announced lower profits.. That started around 2019 til now. Or 2018, somewhere around there.

Back