Parting with my high school car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
What is that in the next bay?????

Trouble. A hole in which to throw money.

wink.gif

Its a '49 Plymouth Special DeLuxe coupe- 215 flathead six, 3-on-the-tree. I haven't decided exactly what to do with it yet, I've roughed out a few hotrod ideas though. All-Mopar powertrain, of course. I've got nothing against smallblock Chevies or GM LSx engines, but I'm tired of seeing them in 90% of the hot rods out there. Maybe a Ford Panther front end, if the dimensions are close enough. I've never done a rod before, it might be fun.

Or just trouble.

Drop it on a 2wd dakota frame? Get rack & pinion steering and your choice of powertrain.

There's a Model-A rod here that shows up at car shows that rocks a Pinto front end replete with OHC Lima 4 cyl. I'm sure it's not fast but it's cute and probably handles pretty good not being so front heavy.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Drop it on a 2wd dakota frame? Get rack & pinion steering and your choice of powertrain.

A buddy of mine is doing exactly that with a 51 Cranbrook (which is the same car as my 49 Special DeLuxe apart from some styling cues). He's using the Dakota 3.9 V6, not going for speed, just looks and reliability.

My evil dream would be to find a Chrysler 300 SRT-8 that drove under an 18-wheeler or had a tree fall on it without tweaking the mechanical parts. I'd make a '49 SRT-8-cial DeLuxe ... ;-p

Great story, sad to see it go but at least it is going to a good home.

I'm still driving my college car, 97 Integra, and my wife wanted me to get rid of it because it only has 2 doors, and I said no. It only has 247K and should last a few more years reliably.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I wish I were closer.
frown.gif

Is is a Custom, and does it have A/C? If so...then, just...wow. Aside from the roof, it's a dead ringer for my grandmother's Satellite!

Yes, its a "Custom" trim level, and yes it has AC. It worked (still on R-12!) when I parked it in 05, but the pressure's too low to turn on the compressor now. I hot-wired it and the compressor spins silently. Just not enough refrigerant.

WOW! OK, how many of these does it have...
Black bench-seat interior
Power brakes, 4-wheel drums
Driver warning system (stupid buzzer sounds as long as the belts aren't fastened)
AM radio
Power steering
Factory wheels were 14's with full wheelcovers

I wish I were closer.
frown.gif

Is is a Custom, and does it have A/C? If so...then, just...wow. Aside from the roof, it's a dead ringer for my grandmother's Satellite!

Yes, its a "Custom" trim level, and yes it has AC. It worked (still on R-12!) when I parked it in 05, but the pressure's too low to turn on the compressor now. I hot-wired it and the compressor spins silently. Just not enough refrigerant.

WOW! OK, how many of these does it have...
Black bench-seat interior
Power brakes, 4-wheel drums
Driver warning system (stupid buzzer sounds as long as the belts aren't fastened)
AM radio
Power steering
Factory wheels were 14's with full wheelcovers

-No black- its a gold interior, cloth seats. Bench/bench
-Factory Power front disk/rear drum brakes
-Driver warning system long ago disabled
-AM radio (with both knobs to the left of the dial) long ago replaced with a kick 80s stereo (groan)
-Power steering
-Factory full wheel covers (holes around the perimeter, "Plymouth Division" text around the center.

It also had the 'Light Package' (ignition illumination, map light, trunk light, glovebox light, etc), AC, HD cooling, and a few other things. But I added all the copcar parts later.

It had the 14" Magnum 500 wheels off my R/T when it went to its new home. The R/T has 15" copcar wheels, but will eventually get 15" Magnum 500s.

Last edited:
OK, not a clone...same radio, same wheelcovers, but otherwise, pretty different. Did the rear doors have dome light switches?

OK, not a clone...same radio, same wheelcovers, but otherwise, pretty different. Did the rear doors have dome light switches?

Yes, may have been part of the "light package" group. I honestly never saw a car without rear door domelight switches until many years later- a stripper-downer A-body. But I gather it was not that uncommon.

I still have the car I bought back in college in 1987. 1970 Monte Carlo. I don't think I could ever sell it even though I probably put less than 500 miles a year on it.

Wayne

Yes, may have been part of the "light package" group. I honestly never saw a car without rear door domelight switches until many years later- a stripper-downer A-body. But I gather it was not that uncommon.

Amazingly, the rear doors do not have dome light switches on my 97 Cherokee.

My parents had a 1974 Plymouth Valiant Brougham 4 door sedan with almost all the goodies you could get on a Valiant, and it had the same type of light package you describe here. Including the rear door dome light switches. They drove that for 12 years, and it was still in good shape when they traded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back