Parking ticket - contesting it because of incorrect date on citation

I used to have a fancy plate like this years ago and got a parking ticket once. The “cop” that wrote the ticket forgot to include the “BV” on the ticket. So the rest of the numbers and letters were meaningless. I didn’t pay it. 😃

(BV stands for Blackstone Valley and is part of the plate number)

0AFD3939-29CF-4FC9-9FE1-3733894C406C.jpeg

Last edited:
I would assume that most states handle these in similar manners (maybe not the same, but similar). I can attest to what is possible in Indiana.

First of all, this is a parking violation (a physical act), not an equipment violation (failed equipment). The "fix it" option really doesn't apply here; you cannot repair or replace an act committed in the same manner you can "fix" a broken headlight or missing tail-light lens. Most simply put, you cannot undo the act, so I don't think the "fix it" avenue is available to you.

This parking violation is a civil infraction and not a "crime", and therefore the burden of proof is much less for the State to have to prove wrongdoing. I'm going to make the assumption that you're not going to commit perjury in court, and so you'll have to tell the truth. What are you going to say to the Judge? "Your honor, the date of the citation is wrong; it happened not on the date shown on the citation, but actucally a different month." In this situation, you've admitted that you commited the violation, it's just that the details are wrong. All the Judge would do is have the date altered to correct the "record"; that's permissible to change an error in a civil infraction such as this example. I've seen this happen before, more than once in my years as LEO. I've seen people try to get out of a speeding tix by stating they were going 69mph in a 65mph zone, instead of the stated 75mph on the tix (probably thinking they'd get leniency for such a small amount over), only to have the Judge say "I'll ammend the speed; you admitted you were going over the limit so the violation stands. Guilty as ammended; pay $ fine. Next case." Again, we're assuming you're going to tell the truth in court, and so you are essentially debating the merit of having the facts corrected (ammending the court record).

Or, you could say "Your honor, I wasn't anywhere near that location on that date. Here's proof from a restaurant receipt that I was 20 miles away on the date/time in question." That would be true, but it would be a "partial" truth, because while true, it's not the "whole" truth. Presuming you are swown in before testifying before the court, you'll swear to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" (or some similar phrase). So while you're not "lying", you're also not telling the WHOLE truth. Because the truth would be that, while you did NOT commit the violation on the stated date, you DID commit the violation on the date you know to be the "whole truth".

Maybe, just maybe, the Judge would have mercy on you and accept your honesty in trade for dismissing the ticket. Or maybe you'll get fined as you should have been. Won't know until you try.

Last edited:
I got a traffic ticket in Ventura in April 2003. I had proof I was in northern California that day so I filed for a trial by correspondence. Found committed, pretty good sized fine. So I filed for trial de novo and drove down from western Washington for it. After a lot of arguing over speedy trial and other issues, it was dismissed "in the furtherance of justice." A long ways to go for a couple hundred dollars, but the kids and I made a great trip out of it.

Let me amend this by noting that it isn't exactly a parking ticket, although mail-in payments got to some "parking citation processing center". I didn't know of any other way to describe it other than that without disclosing the exact citation, which is something that can be fixed (like the burned out headlamp example I used earlier). The cost of the fix will be substantially more than of the fine, and I'm not taking this to court. However, they have provided a convenient way to contest it and I don't see any means to actually take this to court. The citation itself has a list of courts to appear at, although I think that's more for something more severe than what I have. There was an instruction sheet that came with the citation/envelope and it only mentions paying it, fixing it (and paying a small fix it fee by mail), or contesting it through a website.

I got a traffic ticket in Ventura in April 2003. I had proof I was in northern California that day so I filed for a trial by correspondence. Found committed, pretty good sized fine. So I filed for trial de novo and drove down from western Washington for it. After a lot of arguing over speedy trial and other issues, it was dismissed "in the furtherance of justice." A long ways to go for a couple hundred dollars, but the kids and I made a great trip out of it.

I've gotten exactly one traffic ticket in my life. Officer claimed that I ran a red light but I felt that I entered on yellow. I had to go twice to traffic court. The first time was to get a court date, and the second was the scheduled court date. I showed up (wearing a tied) and the officer didn't. It was dismissed on the spot because of that. But I was prepared to argue that it was yellow when I entered.

Ok, I admit not reading all this TMI, but, while I understand how you fix a burned out light I don't get how you fix a parking ticket. And if the whole thing can go away for $10 I would be done with it. Chunk(s) of my time are worth dealing with a $237 whatever ticket but $10 isn't worth fooling with.

Ok, I admit not reading all this TMI, but, while I understand how you fix a burned out light I don't get how you fix a parking ticket. And if the whole thing can go away for $10 I would be done with it. Chunk(s) of my time are worth dealing with a $237 whatever ticket but $10 isn't worth fooling with.

I'll just say that the cost of fixing it will be way more than the $33 (and time) difference since the fine was $43. But submitting the appeal online was quick and easy. If figure maybe they look at the mistake and call it a day, but who knows. Worst case is now I pay the $43 in a week or so and then fix the issue.

I'm not going that far. If it gets down to a hearing (and I think online hearings are the standard now) I'm not going to press it. However, I looked up the appeal process on the citation processing provider's website. They don't make it easy to track down this stuff though.

If after the review, it is determined that the violation did not occur; that the registered owner was not responsible for the violation or that the extenuating circumstances make dismissal of the violation appropriate in the interest of justice; the violation shall be canceled and the results of the review shall be mailed to the appellant.​

Again - I don't know if this is going to work. I really have no defense as to the violation. I get that it may be possible for the agency/officer to fix a mistake like an incorrect date, although messing up the month seems pretty egregious. I'm thinking maybe whoever sees it notices the mistake and says it's just not worth pursuing "in the interest of justice" if the officer made such a silly mistake. Or I end up paying the fine and am no worse off than I am now.

This thread is fairly worthless without the exact citation. What could be so bad you wont list the citation?

OK. Expired registration. Been putting it off for a while. I think it’s like a 50% extra fine plus a couple of administrative fees that might be around $100. Plus I need to get a California Smog Check.

So that's how you fix a parking ticket similarly to how you'd fix a headlight inop ticket. Major change in info. No real excuses to not registering before expiration. Expired and of July and missed it by "that much" as Max Smart used to say then ok, maybe. But "a while" is beyond excuses. Take care of business and if that gets a reduction on the ticket then bonus. Otherwise you owe whatever the ticket is and you know it.

I've gotten exactly one traffic ticket in my life. Officer claimed that I ran a red light but I felt that I entered on yellow. I had to go twice to traffic court. The first time was to get a court date, and the second was the scheduled court date. I showed up (wearing a tied) and the officer didn't. It was dismissed on the spot because of that. But I was prepared to argue that it was yellow when I entered.
Good thing the cops didn't have SCMODS. :cool:

CA registration isn't cheap. It paid $650 this year to renew the registration on my car. But if you fight it due to the date on the ticket, the judge/DA may still ask for proof of registration as evidence during that time for June to present, and may stick you with a bigger fine if you fight it.

If it was a simple mistake as "forgot to put the new year sticker", then the judge/DA would probably overlook it, and still charge you miscellaneous court fees, since registration was current at that time.

Back