Parents looking for new small SUV...help

Status
Not open for further replies.
In FL I'm dubious that AWD is needed. I drove a couple of 2014 Sienna's and there were kinda big--might be a big change if they drove the previous generation. I thought Caravan was a better vehicle, felt better and should be cheaper.

Anyhow. Doesn't sound like they are 5 and done sort of people, but, might as well ask if they plan to own for 15 years and 200k. That might sway the decision a bit. In the end though, you can't beat some test drives. Minivan to CUV (?) might be a big change, but that might be what they are after. Drive a bunch, even the ones you don't want to buy, just to get a feel for what is out there.

You want something low and easy to get into. If snow or bad roads aren't an issue, go with 2wd / I4/ na for ease of maintenance. What is Camry with a wayback called?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
You want something low and easy to get into.

Not if you've got bad knees!!

I love my Mustang Cobra, but I have to pull myself out of it and up with my hands and arms.

Getting old sucks...................

I would normally say RAV4 Hybrid, but since you live in FL....never mind. Batteries won't live too long in FL and you folks do not get the benefit of the 10/150k warranty.

Regular RAV4 with the 2.5L would be my pick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Get a Hyundai Tucson with the 2.0L and save $3k. In the odd event of an engine failure, they've got $3k extra in the bank to cover it.

Being afraid of a Hyundai is pretty ridiculous if you ask me, would be like saying you shouldn't hve bought that Accord because they have bad automatic transmissions. Well, they don't.

My Sonata was $6k less than a comparable Accord. Which means I could have the engine and transmission replaced and still have money left over.
OP is buying the Toyota. CVTs, cylinder deactivation and possible engine problems are the justification for that choice.

2019 is not a good time to be buying used Toyotas when the Hyundai/Kia are probably similar on quality with a lower price. Used car buyers like OP will always create market inefficiencies for more open minded people to exploit.

We have a 2015 Highlander. If I needed a new car, I'd look hard at the new RAV4. Good looking and I like the size.

Originally Posted by andyd
You want something low and easy to get into. If snow or bad roads aren't an issue, go with 2wd / I4/ na for ease of maintenance. What is Camry with a wayback called?
grin2.gif

Low is not easy to get into! Compact and SUV = just right.

Never been in a minivan.

Camry wagon is a Venza.

- Ken, Senior Member.

Last edited:
Whichever they decide, make sure they take a long test drive -- on some of the roughest roads in town. Many of those small SUVs have a punishing ride -- with the short wheelbases. The new RAVs finally look decent. The CX5 would be the most fun. I had an MKC for over 2 yrs. It was a zippy vehicle -- loaded with options. However, the ride was way worse than anything I remember. My Ram and Jeep ride leaps-and-bounds better.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Chevy Equinox.

Subaru have excellent visibility but drive a bit 3rd world - but do they need AWD?

The Equinox is one of my personal favorite mainly due to having driven most SUVs in this segment. The Nox looks pleasing to the eye, they're quiet, comfortable and ride nicely. The outward visibility is good even if not as good as the Subi.

The Nox is just a nice vehicle to drive, has a nice "everydayness" feeling about it and makes for a great lease vehicle for those who don't like the responsibility of ownership. And though it has cheap(er) interior plastics compared to some, it doesn't feel cheap.

For the long term of ownership, the Nox could be less reliable than some(hit or miss) but they're not terrible. And the Nox just feels more grown up compared to many especially the very reliable RAV4. The Mazda CX5 may be the most premium feeling but, they're not for everyone.

The CR-V is also a nice SUV and worthy of consideration. However, there's something that I can't put my finger on about the CR-V. It just doesn't do anything for me. I guess if I owned one it'd be different but, I don't own one. I think what it's missing is that typical Honda feeling that I was expecting.

Last edited:
Chevy Equinox.

We've had our 'Nox for 15 months now and haven't had an issue yet. Still getting about 34mpg average. My wife likes it and that's all that really counts.

In 2017 when I was looking at small SUV, we test drove RAV4, CR-V, HR-V, Escape, Equinox and a few others before buying the Escape. In my area the Toyotas and Hondas come at a premium- little or no discounting. The Equinox was in its last legs in that model year before a complete redesign, and I did not want the last model year of that family, while the new ones were not available. I found the 2018 CR-V to be bland, and I was going to tow regularly and did not trust the Honda CVT for towing. I liked the RAV4 styling, but tow rating and power were disappointing. At this stage I would certainly look at the Equinox and Escape. I am not familiar with the latest Trax but would consider that as well. There is a small Buick SUV available that is made in China, and has gotten poor reviews.

Found an older model (2010) Lexus RX-350 with 70K miles. I wonder how this would compare to a newer, lower mileage mainstream "cute ute" reliability speaking.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Chevy Equinox.

Subaru have excellent visibility but drive a bit 3rd world - but do they need AWD?

The Equinox is one of my personal favorite mainly due to having driven most SUVs in this segment. The Nox looks pleasing to the eye, they're quiet, comfortable and ride nicely. The outward visibility is good even if not as good as the Subi.

The Nox is just a nice vehicle to drive, has a nice "everydayness" feeling about it and makes for a great lease vehicle for those who don't like the responsibility of ownership. And though it has cheap(er) interior plastics compared to some, it doesn't feel cheap.

For the long term of ownership, the Nox could be less reliable than some(hit or miss) but they're not terrible. And the Nox just feels more grown up compared to many especially the very reliable RAV4. The Mazda CX5 may be the most premium feeling but, they're not for everyone.

The CR-V is also a nice SUV and worthy of consideration. However, there's something that I can't put my finger on about the CR-V. It just doesn't do anything for me. I guess if I owned one it'd be different but, I don't own one. I think what it's missing is that typical Honda feeling that I was expecting.

I know some of the earlier Equinox models had some serious timing chain issues, have these been sorted out by the 2016-2017 model year?

I'll double down and put my "stamp" on a previous recommendation:

Ford Escape

2.5L 4 cylinder Engine

Non CVT transmission.

Many of these optioned SUV's see taxi odometer service beyond 500,000 miles in NYC before retirement. Sounds "Bulletproof " to me.

Originally Posted by Best F100

Ford Escape

2.5L 4 cylinder Engine

Non CVT transmission.

Many of these optioned SUV's see taxi odometer service beyond 500,000 miles in NYC before retirement. Sounds "Bulletproof " to me.

Did they discontinue the 2.5 in recent model years? I am not seeing any equipped with the 2.5.

Originally Posted by Best F100

Ford Escape

2.5L 4 cylinder Engine

Non CVT transmission.

I know the 2.5 is a reliable engine, but upon doing some research it looks like the transmissions is these like to go out prematurely. They also have "shuddering" problems.

Last time I drove a Venza, the driving position seemed off and the car had wonky brakes. It didn't seem to have much more room than a Camry. I'd look at a Forester as a more practical alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back