Painting a hood with a spray can possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The surface area of the hood is difficult to do with a can. Smaller pieces you can get away with a can. I would pay a pro to do the job. By the time you get a gun and all you need for supplies you will be close to paying someone to do it. I have the equipment to do a vehicle, but understand the limitations. I did do a hood and roof with a Dip Coating and my Accuspray gun and that came out nice.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by atikovi
Probably depends on what you think is a reasonable job. For $1,000 beater, good enough. For a nice $5,000 car, spend $300-$400 at a body shop.

I once painted my whole car with a Brush and quart of paint.

OP, I say "go for it".
Watch the overspray.

My Father painted his car with a 'small' Roller and the fuzz came off / but still looked decent.

I feel like a roller with single stage paint would be a better option for a hood than aerosol. Should be able to find a low lint roller as well.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Last year I got a price on a similar job but the hood had an area of about 2 sq inches where the paint had just popped off. They said something about acid etching the hood and gave me a price of $660.

$660 is very high for a hood spray and minor repair. Body shops have two types of customers. Self paying and insurance jobs. If it went through insurance, no way the insurance company allow that much. Self paying customers don't have that much clout.

How much per hr is insurance paying in your area? The estimates around here are showing 80-100/hr, and yes, insurance is paying those rates.

You can do it, I've done large areas on cheap cars with rattle can. The results were very good.

I've had professional body shops do a silver bumper, only for the bumper to turn green later on. I used bottom of the barrel duplicolor on a whole bumper before and it was like the day I sprayed it until I junked it three years later.

If it's a beater, provided you have a nice clean environment and prep it correctly, you can make it look very good. You just can't get any solvents stronger than alcohol on it that's all (unless you 2k clear coat).

Probably depends on what you think is a reasonable job. For $1,000 beater, good enough. For a nice $5,000 car, spend $300-$400 at a body shop.

$300-$400 to paint to a close color that will look mismatched in a few years. Or does that include a blend at fenders?

Horizontal panels don't need any (or nearly as much) blending unlike doors and fenders that are on the sides of the car do. And a rattle can spray job WONT look mismatched in a few years? Or immediately?

A cheap and easy OEM paint process may show up first on the hood but will then appear on the deck lid and roof as well.
Maybe look for a better finished car?

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
I've looked a few used cars and a couple of them [Hyundai] have very faded or sun damaged hoods. Perhaps it's the heat from the engine. Is it possible to do a reasonable job with spray cans of color match paint and clear coat? I'm not looking for the best appearance but if they had some shine to the paint, they sure would look better. Would it last a couple of years?

Won't look good from a can unless you pull the hood and get it on its side so you can spray with the can upright. Unless it is a beater, I would have a shop refinish the hood or get another with same color from a boneyard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back