Paint Cleaner or Swirl Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed some very light paint swirls on the hood of my truck and would like to find a product to hide/remove these swirls. What would you all recommend? I have looked at the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion for light swirls, what do you all think?

Pinnacle is good. I think a lot of it depends on what you will be using for swirl removal. If you are using a DA or rotary I would recommend Meguiars 205 (low dust and great results.) If you are doing it by hand I would use Meguiars swirlX. Easy to find OTC product and does a decent job.

If the swirls are very faint, almost any product is sufficient to remove them by hand. Paint cleaners are typically for removing oxidation and contaminants. I recommend using a targeted product that is specifically for swirl removal...tons of those available locally.

I wouldn't worry about using some high-end one or rare one like Meguiar's M105/205 unless your swirls are bad and you have an orbital.

Swirls show up due to improper washing and drying, so alter your habits so they don't return.

FWIW, the only cloths that should be touching your paint are microfiber...

Thanks for the replies. They aren't bad swirls since the only way I saw them was when the truck was in direct sunlight at the middle of the day. Even then the swirls were hard to see but I want to get rid of them. Next time I'm at WM or Pepboys I will take a look and see what they have. All I have at home is the Meguiars Paint Cleaner that I used on another car. It has been too long to remember if it did anything for that vehicle.

Another very good contender would be Duragloss 501, oftentimes sold at Napa or marine shops, because it contains cleaners, nano-abrasives, and is a sealant that can last 6 plus months.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Another very good contender would be Duragloss 501, oftentimes sold at Napa or marine shops, because it contains cleaners, nano-abrasives, and is a sealant that can last 6 plus months.

I like Duragloss SMR(Swirl Mark Remover). It's mild and contains a sealant. So no need to go back over it with a wax. Not strong enough to take out scratches. Good stuff. Available on Amazon, Duragloss.com, autogeek.net(use promo code "freeship" at checkout). Around $10 shipped.

http://www.duragloss.com/Pre-Polishing-Agents/Swirl-Mark-Remover/8-oz.---Duragloss-SMR-(Swirl-Mark-Remover)

Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion is a chemical cleanser with some fillers so it will fill in swirls making them less visible but if you want to physically remove them you need something abrasive. I'd try one of the Meguiars products like SwirlX or ScratchX 2.0, they are cheap, easy to use, and very effective. Btw I second the Duragloss #671 recomendation but the "Freeship" Autogeek coupon has been expired for a while now.

Last edited:
What about the Meguiars #9 professional swirl remover? Saw it on Autogeek and was wondering if anyone had used it. Thanks for all the info, has been helpful.

When I worked at 3M, we had a liquid called "Fill & Glaze"
This was designed to remove the swirl marks left behind by a buffer after a new paint job was rubbed out!

I don't quite know what they have today although I think it's called "Polish & Glaze"

Many years ago, I have used the 3M F&G after I had put some swirl marks in my own paint due to the roughness of my drying towel or an over aggressive wax that had too course of a cleaner instead of a chemical cleaner. Typicaly these swirl marks stake their claim on a dark colored paint!

I like SwirlX/ScratchX2.0 over Meg's M09 Swirl Remover. M09 is an older product, it's less aggressive, and uses diminishing abrasives. SwirlX/ScratchX2.0 uses the newer SMAT abrasive which is a non diminishing abrasive, you just work the product until the defect is removed then wipe off and apply your wax or sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back