P1 (PL3001), 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 6k miles, RT6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first full run of oil & filter since buying this Jeep last summer. PO ran Castrol GTX, and the oil and filter in it were in sad shape when i got it. But nothing bad looking here, so I'd say she's good to go.

The red flecks seem to be part of the media, not particles stuck on it, although they are the same color as the ADBV and gasket.

104_5988.jpg

I really like the construction of the dome-end bypass valve on the PL3001, which is one reason I run this filter on all my vehicles except the PT Cruiser (and i'd run it there if it would fit)

104_5989.jpg

The 3001 is a big filter ... can you get an estimate of the media area?

Media Area = pleat depth x pleat length x number of pleats x 2.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Looks very good! How did the oil look draining out?

Very normal- medium tan and very uniform. No grit at all in the filter or the pan.

When I got the car, it had a white (no label) filter that was made like a Fram (paper end caps) when I cut it open. Very wavy/warped media and very little media, with some grit entrapped. The oil was very dark. Analysis looked OK even then- no antifreeze or excessive moisture, but some fuel dilution from the prev. owner's short trips.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Measurements ???
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Just for clarification, I think this is a PL30001, not a PL3001.

My 30001 had the famous Purolator string around it,old stock? maybe...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

+1594286
please take measurements!

Yeah ... missed a zero in there; opposite of "fat fingers".
wink.gif

Correct, I typoed (as I often do...)

I never got a chance to measure it before I ditched the remains. I'll do that on the next one I open in a few weeks.

And for the post that followed the above- I don't think Purolator has been using that string now for several years. I'm not even sure the last of the blue-can versions used it.

Last edited:
Is that the equivalent of the Motorcraft FL-1A?
If it is similar in length, then isn't it too long for the 4.0 Jeep?.... meaning sits lower than any metal frame part underneath?

I put one on my daughter's 4.0 Pacifica and immediately took it off. I then put on OEM length filter. Sits safe and secure now. No part of the filter sticking out below the frame.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Is that the equivalent of the Motorcraft FL-1A?
If it is similar in length, then isn't it too long for the 4.0 Jeep?.... meaning sits lower than any metal frame part underneath?

I put one on my daughter's 4.0 Pacifica and immediately took it off. I then put on OEM length filter. Sits safe and secure now. No part of the filter sticking out below the frame.

Yes, same size. Not too long for the Jeep 4.0, fits easily and the P1 is one of my favorites for the Jeep, looks great OP! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back