P0135 O2 code 04 Civic Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I just tried out my new scangauge. The scangauge looks to be a cool toy but i bought it to see why my CEL was on. I seem to have a P0135 or O2 sensor problem. I can turn the code off but only for a few seconds before it comes back. I believe that this is for the O2 sensor that is closest to the head and not after the cat right?
My second question is should i get a Honda sensor or should i get an aftermarket sensor? I don't want to get robbed at the dealer if i don't have to. Is there any diferance in quality? I'm not looking fwd to taking this sensor out...
Thanks,
Greg

You should get a scan tool that allows you to test the oxygen sensor before replacing it.

While this is normally a bad O2 sensor, it CAN also be caused by an external wiring fault.

P0135 is sensor 1, bank 1. On a 4cyl, that's the sensor before the CAT. On a V6 it's the right side (as if you were standing at the back of the engine facing the flywheel) sensor before the cat. Bank 2 is the left side.

If the car has low enough mileage, that might even be a warranty repair since the O2 sensor is part of the emissions system. Check with your stealer.

You need to verify the heater circuit in the sensor is the problem, and not a harness, connector or PCM.

Disconnect the sensor, ohm the heater circuit. If it is open, or shorted to ground ........replace. If it is in spec check connectors, harness and go from there.

Originally Posted By: sneakboxer
Hello,
I just tried out my new scangauge. The scangauge looks to be a cool toy but i bought it to see why my CEL was on. I seem to have a P0135 or O2 sensor problem. I can turn the code off but only for a few seconds before it comes back. I believe that this is for the O2 sensor that is closest to the head and not after the cat right?
My second question is should i get a Honda sensor or should i get an aftermarket sensor? I don't want to get robbed at the dealer if i don't have to. Is there any diferance in quality? I'm not looking fwd to taking this sensor out...
Thanks,
Greg

What year Civic? How many miles? When was the last time you did a complete tune up (cap,rotor,wires,plugs)? Very common problem on the 96-00 Civics. Sen me a PM, and i will tell you where to buy them online as i don't want to break an rules as they are not a site sponsor. Do not buy them from the dealer they cost a small fortune!
Joe

Originally Posted By: punisher
You need to verify the heater circuit in the sensor is the problem, and not a harness, connector or PCM.

Disconnect the sensor, ohm the heater circuit. If it is open, or shorted to ground ........replace. If it is in spec check connectors, harness and go from there.

I second that!

A normal engine code light should have been thrown if it was truly bad.
Like mentioned, it could be the heater or the sensor range itself. Connector, wiring, or the actual sensor.
Any power or gas mileage changes recently?
Scan gauges can read erroneously. You should see some gas mileage readings!

I tested the O2 sensor and sure enough it is open everywhere (all 4 pins to eachother and to ground). The car has 72,xxx miles and no other issues. It does not burn any oil and i tuned it up about 15k ago. It is my wifes car so i can only kinda track the gas milage but i think it has dropped some. I checked the warranty and all parts are 3/36 but the cat and ECU are 8/80. so, i'm out of luck there.
Thanks for the help and i'll post back if the new sensor does not work.
Greg

I used a Denso sensor on a 1998 Civic, looks and fits like Honda/NTK.

Is the car running like [censored]?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back