Oxygen Sensors - 2004 Buick Rendezvous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a tune up on the Rendezvous here soon and trying to get everything I need. Trying to read up on the oxygen sensors. I have the 3.4L, and I see there are 2 sensors. From a GM parts store online, I see they are $71.64 for the front and $122.94 for the back one.

Now I found this one at Advance Auto. Can this be used as both?

I am going to have a local shop do it but I was trying to get all the parts and take them in for them. If this will work for both is this a good sensor? If not, what sensor would you recommend?

Thank you

Look at your connectors. Might be one sensor has a longer wiring pigtail than the other. did Advance give you the same part number?

Most shops don't like customer supplied parts BTW.

And the rear o2 isn't a maintenance item.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Look at your connectors. Might be one sensor has a longer wiring pigtail than the other. did Advance give you the same part number?

Most shops don't like customer supplied parts BTW.

And the rear o2 isn't a maintenance item.

I was just looking online and trying to find the parts, haven't stopped in the store.

I've known the owner forever of the shop and most people bring there own parts to have the work done, its no big deal. They will even help you sometimes to find the correct parts, I was just doing some research and found these.

So I only need to get one for the front then?

Yeah I would save the rear o2 for when it throws a code, there is a specific one for its being lazy that's mostly irrefutable.

Don't use universal o2's, especially upstream. When it comes to o2's, not worth the cost savings vs problems. Better off cleaning the one thats on and putting it back than putting on a universal.

Ok its mpg has dropped quite a bit and someone said that the O2 sensor could be bad or something so I wanted to change it out to check to see if that was the problem.

I'll see if I can find an OEM one for a better price. $71.64 seems like a lot but if it brings the mpgs back up that would help so much.

^man, the OE LAF(02) sensor on this car is $630.
grin2.gif

I see you have less than 100K on this car, plugs will probably help with your fuel economy if they are original. I wouldn't worry too much about the O2's at this mileage.

If you do decide to swap them out..
Denso part# Downstream 234-4087 Upstream 234-4650

Both are available at Advance one you found, just put Denso 234-4087 in the search box for the other.

Edit: The difference is the harness length.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I see you have less than 100K on this car, plugs will probably help with your fuel economy if they are original. I wouldn't worry too much about the O2's at this mileage.

If you do decide to swap them out..
Denso part# Downstream 234-4087 Upstream 234-4650

Both are available at Advance one you found, just put Denso 234-4087 in the search box for the other.

Her mileage dropped from 23-26 mpg down to 16-18 mpg, without any changes. I seen in an article that "loss of power, (particularly when accelerating from a stand-still)" is another symptom of a faulty sensor, she has that. And I can't find it, but in another one that because of a richer fuel being burned you will smell fuel burning and she has that too. So I figured I would just get it changed at the same time as I get the plugs and plug wires changed. I'm just going to order the sensor from GM Part Shop for $71.64.

Also, yes they are original spark plugs.

^Hrm...is there a CEL on for the sensors? Does it consume oil, if so how much?

I may agree with the tune up idea, check tire pressure, etc before replacing the 02 sensors OR at least along with it. They are probably due.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Hrm...is there a CEL on for the sensors? Does it consume oil, if so how much?

I may agree with the tune up idea, check tire pressure, etc before replacing the 02 sensors OR at least along with it. They are probably due.

No CEL light. It used to consume 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. Got it switched over to Pennzoil Ultra and did short intervals to clean it out, after the next couple changes no burn off at all over the whole 5,000 OCI. Got a good engine air filter that I change every 10,000 miles due to the dirt from gravel roads. I now have it switched over to Maxlife, no burn off yet over 3,000, gonna go another 3,000 on it.

I am getting the spark plugs and wire set, fuel filter, brake line flush and that front O2 sensor done. Anything else I should look into with it around 100,000?

Look into a dragging brake, a 30% cut in MPG is terrible.

My favorite test is to coast up hill in neutral and let it automatically start reversing without touching the brake. If you have a dragging brake you can feel the "sticktion" when it stops.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Look into a dragging brake, a 30% cut in MPG is terrible.

My favorite test is to coast up hill in neutral and let it automatically start reversing without touching the brake. If you have a dragging brake you can feel the "sticktion" when it stops.

Ok I'll give that a check too

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
why go from PU to max life? Huge downgrade

Got it as an oil change special for $14 with a P1 filter. Normal price for Ultra is $27 and then have to get the filter. Its just cheaper, and car runs the same so may just stick with it.

^Does this vehicle have a replacement timing belt or chain? If it's a belt, replacing it by 100,000 might be a good job to get performed now, too. Water pump replacement with OE, get the seals replaced, too.

Anyway, if that applies as far as 'what else to get done at 100,000 miles'.

PS: Remember to lubricate any joints that are serviceable.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Does this vehicle have a replacement timing belt or chain? If it's a belt, replacing it by 100,000 might be a good job to get performed now, too. Water pump replacement with OE, get the seals replaced, too.

Anyway, if that applies as far as 'what else to get done at 100,000 miles'.

PS: Remember to lubricate any joints that are serviceable.

Just a Serpentine Belt and a timing chain.

Went out and started it this morning and it has a CEL now, so I'll be getting that checked Monday. ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back