owners manual says different weight could damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my second Nissan Versa and the manual says use 5-30. It says that using different oil weight than that could damage my motor. I was looking at 5-20 or 0-30 for mabey economy but I don't want to damage my motor. Those with opinions please provide one.
thanks

For the 4 banger Versa i'd stay in 5w30/0w30 grade. Goto the Mobil/Valvoline/Pennzoil website and do a search by vehicle and you will see what you can run in the car. If its still in warranty stay in 5w30.

While it wouldn't hurt your motor, the 5w-30 is perfect for the climate you are in living in TN.

You would notice very little if any fuel savings if you switched.

Stick with the manual.

If you believe Mobil's avertising, you can use their 0-30 becasue they say it's "approved" for 5-30 and 10-30 applications.

I believe they are probably concerned with someone using too heavy of a viscosity. I go with what the guys above say; 0w-30 or 5w-30. Since you are under warranty (is it new?) and may one day be asked to provide a sales receipt, you probably want to stay w/5w-30; just in case.

Originally Posted By: tndiesel
I just bought my second Nissan Versa and the manual says use 5-30. It says that using different oil weight than that could damage my motor. I was looking at 5-20 or 0-30 for mabey economy but I don't want to damage my motor. Those with opinions please provide one.
thanks

Just use a 30 weight. Any multivisc 30 weight. Don't worry about 5w or 0w.

If you're doing mostly short trip events, then you may choose a 20 weight. You're probably not at any sensible visc when you turn off the key..so the thinner the better. If you're doing sustained highway driving, then I'd stay with a 30 grade. Headwinds will alter your economy more ..tire pressure ..etc.

motul says you can run 5W40 and 10W40.

tiida.jpg

I agree with all of the above posters. Running thicker oil would not kill your motor but MPG. Running thinner oil can increase wear while driving fast on highway.

Originally Posted By: tndiesel
thanks
I started this same thread before because my Chevy cavalier manual also says that using other than 5-30 can damage the engine. It's pure baloney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back