Overheating indicator 4.3 V6 08 Silverado

My FIL 08 4.3 V6 Silverado with 59k has overheat indicator/AC disabled on. The hose from water pump is hot while radiator is cool to touch. Fans work. The temp gauge is stuck on C never rises driving.

I can’t find a radiator cap but maybe buried under plastic? The coolant overflow is at normal level. He’s 80 so he is fiddling with it in my driveway.

Advice ? If it had a cap I could see if has coolant.

Last edited:
There is no cap on the radiator. You fill the coolant bottle on the pass side. Sometimes, it is hard to see the coolant level from staining/plastic discoloration. Bad coolant sensor, maybe?

The coolant overflow is the only cap your truck has. If the overflow is at the correct level, you probably have enough coolant, and it's not low.

Replace the coolant temp sensor and the thermostat. Rock Auto has both OE parts at a good price :)

Fixed , unplugged battery held brake pedal and restarted. The light is off and gauge temp jumped to normal temp from zero.

drunk.jpeg

GM is stupid in design, a code is thrown/stored and after that disables AC/shows overheat indicator in dash and pegs the temp gauge at Cold no matter if cooling system is fine or not. The indicators are fine however falsely pegging gauge to zero is poor design.

GM is stupid in design, a code is thrown/stored and after that disables AC/shows overheat indicator in dash and pegs the temp gauge at Cold no matter if cooling system is fine or not. The indicators are fine however falsely pegging gauge to zero is poor design.
Wonder why they did that. Bigger indicator than a light that is more easily ignored?

Back