Overheard in a quick lube shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a typical cost for F&R diff, transfer case, trans fluid 'n filter, PS fluid & engine oil (15W40) on a 3500 6.6/Allison?
I've heard of people paying over $800.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Near my home, there is this quick lube local chain type place, that has a carwash and detail shop as well.

I took my wife's car in for a quick inside and out detail, and sat in the lounge for about 45 minutes while they cleaned the car up.

Heard some interesting conversations between the service advisor and clients.

1.) Mid 40's female brings in new Cadillac, and wants to put conventional oil in it. Service advisor says that the vehicle only takes Dexos motor oil (good call). Price doubles from $39.99 to $89.99 for an oil change.

2.) Mid 30's male brings in his Toyota Tundra pickup truck, for conventional oil change. He is advised that the vehicle takes 6 quarts of oil. Up charge for one additional quart of conventional valvoline motor oil is $11.25.

3.) Woman with newer direct injection Chevy vehicle is having a lot of service done. Service advisor says that she had the direct injection cleaning service done, but she should have it done every 6,000 miles. This is a $89.99 service.

I left paying $20 for inside and out clean, Scion looks great. I went home and changed the oil and filter myself with Synpower, and probably paid $14 for both oil and filter.

I should open up a quick lube, there were MANY people in line who paid near $100 for very basic services. Oil change/air filter jobs ,and very easy stuff.

The place was also MOBBED with yuppies getting $149 details on their corvettes, and Lexus SUV's.

Their business case was $75 per car, so oil change plus extra services. Probably $100 now.

2.) Mid 30's male brings in his Toyota Tundra pickup truck, for conventional oil change. He is advised that the vehicle takes 6 quarts of oil. Up charge for one additional quart of conventional valvoline motor oil is $11.25.

I'm all for businesses turning a profit but $11.25 for an extra quart of conventional oil. Wow.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

I'm all for businesses turning a profit but $11.25 for an extra quart of conventional oil. Wow.

I would have left a quart low and head for Walmart or a parts store for that extra quart.......

Last edited:
A lot of them won't change the oil in cars with no dipstick. My friend works at a mom and pop quick lube place. They won't change the oil on cars like BMWs and Audis without a dipstick for liability reasons.
21.gif

Just because we can do the work ourselves for less money does not mean that the owners of these places are rolling in dough. Lots & lots of expenses involved in running these places. Regular oil changes I would believe are break even at best.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Just because we can do the work ourselves for less money does not mean that the owners of these places are rolling in dough. Lots & lots of expenses involved in running these places. Regular oil changes I would believe are break even at best.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You must remember some on here will drive all over town to different auto parts store to buy oil at .50 cents a quart.

So-any amount for an oil change at a "quick lube" place is probably too much!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
A lot of them won't change the oil in cars with no dipstick. My friend works at a mom and pop quick lube place. They won't change the oil on cars like BMWs and Audis without a dipstick for liability reasons.
21.gif

I don't understand that. Even at the dealer we just pumped in the spec and sent it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
You must remember some on here will drive all over town to different auto parts store to buy oil at .50 cents a quart.

What's with all the negativity towards others on here? Talk about being a Negative Ned.

Plus this post from earlier on another thread:

BITOG members don't like new cars.....because this is the place where old cars come to die.

Last edited:
CKN's posts are spot on. I get a Lol out of them. Old cars never die, they just drive off into the sunset. And why pay 50 cents a quart for engine oil, when free is so much better?

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree. Just so they can add to their stash of 30 bottles that'll take them 3 yrs to go through. Then at around 3 years we'll see them post a question about using "old" oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree. Just so they can add to their stash of 30 bottles that'll take them 3 yrs to go through. Then at around 3 years we'll see them post a question about using "old" oil.

OR-they will be moving and they cannot pack it because the moving company considers it "hazardous material" and won't transport it-and they have to figure out how to get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
30qt is NOT a stash....

If you have one car and follow an OLM 30 quarts is a stash.

30qt is NOT a stash....

If you have one car and follow an OLM 30 quarts is a stash.

I'll give you that. Not all cars have olm, though. I sense a lot of anti-stash sentiment.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I've always wanted to open a quick lube place. I see a market where people like me want to have their oil changed but not get scammed. Trying to be upsold with numerous products is a real turnoff. I had a car in the shop not long ago for a serpentine belt and they tried to get $800 from me with BG flushes and whatnot.

I never get up selled at Ford Quicklane. The dealer isn't particularly ethical, so I think it's a business decision by Ford instead of a peculiarity of my local outlet.

I don't know what the strategy is: Better treatment leads to higher volume? Encourage customers to show up with better maintained trade ins? Overall customer satisfaction?What?

30qt is NOT a stash....

Confucius said
"The true mark of a stash is when the measurement is done in gallons"

Originally Posted By: stockrex
30qt is NOT a stash....

Confucius said
"The true mark of a stash is when the measurement is done in gallons"

He also says-"try to understand the meaning of a 7 year stash". (Yes-someone on here has one).

Last edited:
I have done oil changes on the car using synthetic oil and Microgreen filters for years. I have never paid more than $25 total. I contact MG and I talk nice and I get discount codes and get my oil on clearance for under $4/qt. The truck holding 4 gallons costs about $65 with T6 and Motorcraft oil filters.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Originally Posted By: E150GT
I've always wanted to open a quick lube place. I see a market where people like me want to have their oil changed but not get scammed. Trying to be upsold with numerous products is a real turnoff. I had a car in the shop not long ago for a serpentine belt and they tried to get $800 from me with BG flushes and whatnot.

I never get up selled at Ford Quicklane. The dealer isn't particularly ethical, so I think it's a business decision by Ford instead of a peculiarity of my local outlet.

I don't know what the strategy is: Better treatment leads to higher volume? Encourage customers to show up with better maintained trade ins? Overall customer satisfaction?What?

It is all a money grab so they can try to get more out of customers who aren't mechanically inclined.

A family friend has a 2009 Ford Escape that needed new tires. The tire shop she went to also does brakes, exhaust, front end work, etc. When she had the tires mounted they told her she needed new front brakes and they would be happy to replace them. I had just replaced her front brakes a few months ago. She still had to call me and ask if what they were saying made sense. I had to tell her that her brakes were almost new still since it had only been a few months. She didn't know how long they lasted.

My old boss had a dealer try to sell him an automatic transmission fluid change on a manual trans GMC truck. He informed them that he had a manual transmission and they replied with "oh, right".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back