Overfilling a differential.

I want to change the oil in our side by side. I can't access the drain plug and I can't get a tube in the filler hole to suck out the old oil.

I'm thinking of filling the housing all the way up then driving it a few minutes to mix it all up then pulling the fill plug and letting it drain till it's at that level.

Thinking that's my only option. Kinda wasteful but cheaper than fixing the differential when it blows up from lack of maintenance

what is a side by side?
offroad atv with 2 seats "side by side"
image_2022-05-02_101818856.jpg

I couldn't undo the drain plug on my dodge plow truck so I siphoned the old oil out using aquarium tubing and the dipstick.

It took a day to get a quart, LOL. A week for the whole change.

Get your rear end good & hot then try a little siphon. Bring a good book.

I want to change the oil in our side by side. I can't access the drain plug and I can't get a tube in the filler hole to suck out the old oil.

I'm thinking of filling the housing all the way up then driving it a few minutes to mix it all up then pulling the fill plug and letting it drain till it's at that level.

Thinking that's my only option. Kinda wasteful but cheaper than fixing the differential when it blows up from lack of maintenance
Have you been able to get a FSM for the unit? I'm guessing you have to remove some rock guards to get to it? Maybe even drop the unit?

Yes, I used my mighty vac with a flexible rubber hose attached to get into a differential without a drain plug. Grab some beers and invite a friend over!

I remember on my Saab I couldnt access the drain plug, just the fill. I forget why, some suspension part was in the way IIRC.

I used flexible tubing and a vacuum extractor.

If you can fill the thing up and drain it from the fill tube then why couldnt you vacuum it out from the fill tube and get a decent fraction?

Back