overfilled?

Hi all, the other day, checked my oil and was approaching the "low mark". Topped up about .5 quart max and now im over the fill mark. Would this be okay until the next change? or should I try to remove the excess, and if so, whats the best method to do so?

Image attached of dipstick. approx 1cm over fill mark.
A6afCMe.jpg

Thanks.

Shouldn't be any problem. My car asks for 5.0 quarts = 4.7 liters of engine oil. I usually fill it with 5.0 liters = 5.2 quarts. Just because they are sold in five liter jugss. Never had a problem.

But if you overfilled it with something like 1-2 quarts... hope not.
whistle.gif

Leave it, you'll be fine. Manufacturers design the dipstick with some buffer... They don't trust people enough to tell them the true "maximum" fill line on the dipstick because they know that jiffy lubes almost always overfill and also because of variations in when people check the oil, hot vs warm vs cold

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Leave it, you'll be fine. Manufacturers design the dipstick with some buffer... They don't trust people enough to tell them the true "maximum" fill line on the dipstick because they know that jiffy lubes almost always overfill and also because of variations in when people check the oil, hot vs warm vs cold

+1
thumbsup2.gif

If you topped with 0,5 quarts only and it was low, then I guess the gauge is not that reliable in its upper range
smile.gif

Isn't usually at least 0,5 quart between the lower and the upper mark on the dipstick ?

I always over fill my wifes car by 1 quart because she never checks oil level. That said, drive it around check the oil. If you see foamy (is that a word?) oil on the dipstick then you would want to think about removing some from the crank case. A few bubbles on the dipstick is OK.

I do not doubt your word; but I would like to know the source of your information? HOW do you know this?

I know it is true on my GM 3800 because I've had the oil pan off the car, on my level workbench, and temporarily filled with 5 measured quarts of water just to see if it would come over the crankshaft baffle; which it didn't. But it is quite a leap to go from a specific engine to "Manufacturers."

Edit: And yes, since discovering this, my engine calls for 4.5 quarts for an oil and filter change, I normally put in 5 quarts on purpose because I know there is room and I just don't want to measure 1/2 quart. And it will drop to the "full" mark in 6K miles or so.

Agree with all the above. Leave it, you'll be fine.

The only time I've ever drained excess was on my tractor. I grabbed the wrong jug and overfilled by about a gallon in a 9qt system.

HEHheh. My first 528e and most of my jeeps and old cars would use a pint quickly and then go along fine for a few Kmiles before getting to a qt low. In days of yore, oil consumption was not a big deal. You checked at every fill-up of gas and added as needed. A constant oil level on the dip stick could be an indication of gas contamination

I once had Toyota Celica ST182 with 3S-GE engine and had it overfilled with approx half a liter of an oil. It started to blow the oil out of gasket somewhere on the top of the engine (it was long time ago and I was not much into the mechanical stuff at the time).

Since that time I never ever overfill the oil in any of my vehicles. I would rather spend 10 minutes to double check the level when topping the oil rather than clean the mess in the engine bay or the floor.

Last edited:
I once blew at least 3-quarts out of my inline six in a Jeep. I was stuck in an abatement pond and while trying to get up out of the slippery mess I had it floored to redline for probably 10-15 minutes of abuse. It blew oil out the air vent in the valve cover which was smoking on the exhaust manifold and the rest of the engine.

I abused that thing regularly... in ways that make me cringe today but that thing never missed a beat.

These responses seem a bit weird to me- no offense.
People here tend to swear by the owners manuals to the ninth degree.
Most every manual I ever read warned about over-filling the engine oil and even
every zero turn I have and even my push mowers.

Some here would stab you in the street if they knew you used 5w30 in place of OEM recommended 5w20.
But most all agree over filling your oil reservoir-pan is a okay.....

Interesting.

There can be a large variation in reading depending on how oil is checked.

1. Full operating temp
2. After 15 minute drain down.
3. Level ground

My 2.7 Ecoboost won't even register on the stick if you don't give it a long drain down.

I have another engine that reads a half gallon different between cold and hot.

PS My 2.7 EB comes to about the same place on the stick as the OP when you put the stated 6.0 qt refill in it.

Last edited:
I once had Toyota Celica ST182 with 3S-GE engine and had it overfilled with approx half a liter of an oil. It started to blow the oil out of gasket somewhere on the top of the engine (it was long time ago and I was not much into the mechanical stuff at the time).

Since that time I never ever overfill the oil in any of my vehicles. I would rather spend 10 minutes to double check the level when topping the oil rather than clean the mess in the engine bay or the floor.
Before you drain your oil, open your hood and make sure you take off the oil cap from your engine. By doing that, you'll get a very clean and fast drain. The "GTS" takes 4.5 quarts of oil. The "GT" takes 3.9 quarts but 4 is safe to use:unsure::rolleyes:🚗

I do not doubt your word; but I would like to know the source of your information? HOW do you know this?

I know it is true on my GM 3800 because I've had the oil pan off the car, on my level workbench, and temporarily filled with 5 measured quarts of water just to see if it would come over the crankshaft baffle; which it didn't. But it is quite a leap to go from a specific engine to "Manufacturers."

Edit: And yes, since discovering this, my engine calls for 4.5 quarts for an oil and filter change, I normally put in 5 quarts on purpose because I know there is room and I just don't want to measure 1/2 quart. And it will drop to the "full" mark in 6K miles or so.

Some cars definitely have a buffer or they wouldn't tell you to overfill by 1.5 qt on the track in the Owner's Manual.

On the other hand some of my HD Engines are kept below full because they routinely blow two quarts out the draft tube if you fill to the mark. Might be why the add mark is at 6 qt low on some.

I remember the DOHC Neon ACR had to be kept 0.5 qt low on oil on the track or it would get into the crank, foam the oil and contribute to engine failure.

Last edited:
I am no stranger to overfilling the oil pan by a bit.
Maybe I am reading the dipstick wrong, but your pic looks waaaay overfilled to me.
If so, perhaps you might extract or drain out a bit.

Good luck.

Back