Let's talk dipsticks and oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the location/orientation of the drain plug, that can make a (small) difference. My car's, and most are like this, drain plug faces the rear of the car and is effectively on the 'corner' of the oil pan so raising the front end of the car or driving up on ramps is ideal for getting 'more' oil out vs the car being raised on a lift and kept horizontal. Is it enough to matter ? Nope ! Not to me or the majority of people !

When you say 7 quarts for the Corvette, do they mean the "dry" capacity, as in how much is put in at the factory when there's NO residual oil that can possibly be 'trapped' in the engine ? I've seen that mentioned in manuals many times and as far as the owner's manual goes, that's still to put that value in there as it doesn't apply in 99% of cases.

Over the years I had a vehicle or two that I believe the dipstick or dipstick tube was off. These were Ford E-150's with the 4.9L I-6 engine. The dipstick is very long, I recall reading over the full mark after an oil and filter change with 6 quarts of oil added to the sump, that is the amount the engine calls for with an OE filter. I did an oil change ran the engine and let it sit overnight on level ground. The following morning I made my own full mark, problem solved.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

When you say 7 quarts for the Corvette, do they mean the "dry" capacity, as in how much is put in at the factory when there's NO residual oil that can possibly be 'trapped' in the engine ? I've seen that mentioned in manuals many times and as far as the owner's manual goes, that's still to put that value in there as it doesn't apply in 99% of cases.

That's the problem, I think the listed capacity in the manual for my engine really is the dry capacity of a new engine. The odd thing is, for the dry sump engine, the capacity they list in the manual is the correct amount necessary for an oil change.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Over the years I had a vehicle or two that I believe the dipstick or dipstick tube was off. These were Ford E-150's with the 4.9L I-6 engine. The dipstick is very long, I recall reading over the full mark after an oil and filter change with 6 quarts of oil added to the sump, that is the amount the engine calls for with an OE filter. I did an oil change ran the engine and let it sit overnight on level ground. The following morning I made my own full mark, problem solved.

how does that solve the problem? You probably didn't fully drain your oil, leaving say, a half quart in the motor. Then added what the manual calls for. Now aren't you over filled? Then you re-mark the stick? Not getting the logic here.

Unless there is a reported problem from the manufacturer about an innacurate dipstick, I will always use the marks on the dipstick to adjust the oil level.

I don't think I ever had a vehicle on which a reasonably thorough drain, then adding the specified volume didn't put the level near the full mark.

Slight exceptions:
The Toyota comes out slightly below the full mark that way. I do not add more.
I had to use a little less oil in the Mazda after filter manufacturers forced me to use smaller filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back