overfilled engine oil slightly

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I changed the oil on my dodge truck at work on December 18th, and I checked my oil level today and it is slightly overfilled, no more than 1/4-1/2 a quart over. should I worry? I've been driving it since then everyday and haven't noticed a difference at all. truck holds 5qts

thanks, I drive it everyday to school and to work at an auto restoration shop so i'd hate to have any big problems with the motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Remember 1/4 of a quart is 8oz or 2/3 can of beer; I would not be worried.

Now that's something I can relate to.

It's a pretty common recommendation to run a quart over full when tracking a car. I don't think that would be the case if it could cause harm.

A half a quart over?
Nothing to worry about.
I ran five quarts at OCI in both my 4.5 quart '99 2.3 VTEC Accord and '97 3.0 Vulcan Aerostar for many years and up to about 175K when both vehicles got sold to our insurer after being wrecked by our sons in different events.
We had bought both of these new, so I hated to see them destroyed in accidents, although I was very grateful that my sons sustained no injuries.
You can replace cars, not people.
Anyway, a small overfill will do no harm.

Does overfilling cause oil to foam? I have read that, but it might depend on the engine.

Originally Posted By: datech
Does overfilling cause oil to foam? I have read that, but it might depend on the engine.

If you overfill it high enough it will. The crankshaft counterweights will end up slinging the oil around and introducing air into the oil displaced.

You are fine - engines are designed to be able to overfill by ½ a quart. If you haven't noticed any difference in performance, and do not see any oil aeration on the dipstick, you are good.

This topic is regularly addressed....the only difference is in the amount of overfill...ranging from 1/8" to 1/2" over "F" up the dipstick...and a search would show that they all elicit the same answers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back