Overfilled by 1/2 Qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'd worry too much about a half a quart, don't Mazda engines burn a little oil anyway? If it was a full quart I'd worry about it - I've don't that - and the oil went right past the rings and blew smoke upon acceleration.

I did a bit of online search - pretty much concluded 1/2 Ok ... full quart might cause introduction of air ...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I overfill my cars on purpose.

So do I. I typically overfill .25 to .5 quarts on purpose. Never an issue. Wife drives so much it might be 3K to 4K miles before I can check her oil again. Over filling slightly prevents the oil from getting low.

My mother in laws car calls for 4.5 quarts. I dump in 5. Same principle. Might be a few thousand miles before I can check/top off her fluids, and I would rather her be a bit high than low.

Half a quart will not damage your engine. Just drive it and dont worry about it.

+1 My Equinox is 4.2 quarts. I usually throw in 4 and top off the next time I remember. Most of the time overfilling some. It burns a little oil so it doesn't matter. I agree with everybody here. No harm, no foul

Originally Posted By: wilnis
Hi-Having been a psychiatrist since 1975 (I am 72 and still work), BITOG is absolutely my favorite site on the Web and this post is why. In my opinion, mild OCD is the best "pathology" for adults in our society to have as it keeps our culture going. It is relatively harmless compared to most of the pathology I see and try to treat, people with this condition function quite well for the most part, and the biggest reason is it is the one that I have and deal with daily, and helps me put my life and travails in perspective.
I would of course vote for "leave it alone and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday" and I'm glad to see that as the consistent theme.
Regards-Bill

+++++++11111111111111
laugh.gif

Hi-Having been a psychiatrist since 1975 (I am 72 and still work), BITOG is absolutely my favorite site on the Web and this post is why. In my opinion, mild OCD is the best "pathology" for adults in our society to have as it keeps our culture going. It is relatively harmless compared to most of the pathology I see and try to treat, people with this condition function quite well for the most part, and the biggest reason is it is the one that I have and deal with daily, and helps me put my life and travails in perspective.
I would of course vote for "leave it alone and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday" and I'm glad to see that as the consistent theme.
Regards-Bill

Is there a medical term for when the mild OCD people think everyone else are the crazy ones?

Regards-Bill

Interesting. And interesting this is just "mild" OCD.

Does OCD also cover the case when someone asks for advice, is presented with facts, but then continues on regardless?

I see that as a failure to apply critical thinking and / or compulsion.

Me too.
We both owned 3.0 Aerostars that called for 4.5 qts.
I always dumped in the whole jug.
Same for our old '99 Accord.
Both of these things went about thirteen years and 175K before being totaled by sons.
Both sons were okay in both accidents in both machines.
Neither engine cared about the extra half quart and I was saved the trouble of figuring out what I could do with a half a quart of motor oil that didn't suit my OPEs.

Hi-Leo99-the usual term "projection" I think covers that. Bill

Thanks. Always amuses me when someone posts on here..."Like any good BITOGer I...."

And I'm always thinking.... Who in their right mind does this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back