Overfilled by 1/2 Qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
1/2 quart will be of benefit...many people overfill on purpose

That's what I do, for both of my vehicles.

Go eat your dinner.
Does the manual also say when to check your oil? Hot verses cold? The Transit will show in the middle of the hash marked area when cold and full when warm and manual says to check when warm. The old 91 truck will consume the extra in short order and then settle to next to no oil use for the 4k OCI

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Do you step on the cracks in sidewalks ?

Avoid them like the plague. Most BITOGers have OCD to varying degrees.

I also forgot to mention that this is a Royal Purple filter (10-2876) that I slapped on. SO, cost is a factor. I cut it open, and will post pictures one of these days.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll either leave it alone, or drain a bit and re-use the crush washer, and just keep an eye on it.

Also a good argument for considering a Fumoto valve on my XMAS list.....

Last edited:
Just to add:

On my Corolla, Toyota changed the fill volume and increased it by about a half quart. They have a replacement dipstick with the new lines.

On my Camry, the Toyota fill of 4.8qts takes it to a little under the full mark on the dipstick. Dumping the whole 5qt jug of oil in takes it right to the full mark.

The Rav4 leaks a little so I add a little (1/2 qt) extra.

I've always put 5L in my 4.5L engines. The extra .5 is good if you burn a little oil and also good because you don't need to store .5L in the shed. Seriously not an issue as most have already stated.

Only time it has caused trouble is when someone puts 50% more than they're supposed to.

Originally Posted By: KL31
I've always put 5L in my 4.5L engines. The extra .5 is good if you burn a little oil and also good because you don't need to store .5L in the shed. Seriously not an issue as most have already stated.

Only time it has caused trouble is when someone puts 50% more than they're supposed to.

This is another check in the "go eat some turkey" column. Do the carmakers produce a 4.5 quart pan for the US and a 4.5 liter for the rest of the world? If not, everyone else is already overfilling.

Back to the swimming pool analogy: How many gallons of water does it take to raise the level by one inch ? How many quarts of oil does it take to raise the level of oil in the oil pan by one inch ? If the oil level is raised by one inch, will the crankshaft counterweights be in danger of striking the oil ? How much higher is a 1/2 quart going to raise the oil level ? Answer: It depends on the total sump capacity and the amount of fudge factor the engineers designed into it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I overfill my cars on purpose.

So do I. I typically overfill .25 to .5 quarts on purpose. Never an issue. Wife drives so much it might be 3K to 4K miles before I can check her oil again. Over filling slightly prevents the oil from getting low.

My mother in laws car calls for 4.5 quarts. I dump in 5. Same principle. Might be a few thousand miles before I can check/top off her fluids, and I would rather her be a bit high than low.

Half a quart will not damage your engine. Just drive it and dont worry about it.

Hi-Having been a psychiatrist since 1975 (I am 72 and still work), BITOG is absolutely my favorite site on the Web and this post is why. In my opinion, mild OCD is the best "pathology" for adults in our society to have as it keeps our culture going. It is relatively harmless compared to most of the pathology I see and try to treat, people with this condition function quite well for the most part, and the biggest reason is it is the one that I have and deal with daily, and helps me put my life and travails in perspective.
I would of course vote for "leave it alone and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday" and I'm glad to see that as the consistent theme.
Regards-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back