Overfilled 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I overfilled during the last OC on my wife's Highlander 2.4 L (2AZ-FE). Oil level is apprx 1/2" above 2nd mark on dip stick. Should I drain excess?

This amount overfilled probably won't hurt anything. But, if you do drain the oil, be prepared to catch the oil in a clean container(to reuse) as you will most likely drain too much.

Once the oil drain plug is removed, it's difficult to stop and put the threaded plug back in, in time, even when being very careful!

And, the oil coming out while you're trying to put back the drain plug, will be all over the place including your shirt sleeve and face.
smirk.gif

I speak from experience!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I will add something here , last month changed the oil in daughters Dodge 2.4L calls for 4.5 quarts . I put 5 quarts in and took it down the road , smoke came rolling out from under the hood , Darn thing blew the oil cap off and dip-stick out of the tube !!!!!! Cleaned it all up & runs like a champ.

Originally Posted By: JDW
I will add something here , last month changed the oil in daughters Dodge 2.4L calls for 4.5 quarts . I put 5 quarts in and took it down the road , smoke came rolling out from under the hood , Darn thing blew the oil cap off and dip-stick out of the tube !!!!!! Cleaned it all up & runs like a champ.

Really? Thats a little messed up. My Accord takes 4.4 quarts including the filter and It usually takes all 5 quarts to bring it up to the full mark.

If it was me - I'd take the oil filter off and put another one on. Less mess than taking the drain plug out and should put you at about the correct level.

It's probably half a quart overfull, five full quarts. Don't think twice about it, won't hurt a thing (on this particular application, I don't claim to know every engine, but this I've had for 90,000 miles).

And yes, I've done it and lived to tell the tale. If you're moving you just don't want/need an extra half quart of oil to move. But at the same time the BITOGer in me can't throw a half quart of fresh synthetic into the drain pan.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
If it was me - I'd take the oil filter off and put another one on. Less mess than taking the drain plug out and should put you at about the correct level.

Another good idea!

Use a PH3600/FL400 sized oil filter to get away with filling a full 5 quart jug.

If a mild oil burner over the 5k OCI, don't worry about it.

Unscrew and drain the oil filter should help you get out excess oil without touching the drain plug. No need to replace the filter.

That could be almost a full quart over filled.

I would dump the filter and re-check the level after you run the engine for a moment. You may even have to do it twice.

The only word of caution I can see people mentioning is to make sure the filter gasket is not leaking after your repeated install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back