Over-filled coolant reservoir

I mis-read my coolant level today, added some, then realized I over-filled. Probably an inch over the Full line. The design of the the reservoir makes it difficult/impossible to use a turkey baster or straw to siphon the excess out. How should I proceed? Should I be cocerned; can it cause any damage?

If your res has an overflow tube then it’s not a concern. If it vents from the cap or something like that then you’ll probably need to wash off a little dried up coolant over the next few months. In my limited experience, dealer techs seem to overfill these so customers don’t come back saying it’s ”only half-full” after a service.

I wouldn't worry about going an inch over the max line, if you fill it to the max line it would go over it when engine gets hot anyway. Just wait until winter you'll worry the level is too low lol

Not an issue but if worried you can buy a coolant tester and use it as a baster to suck out excess antifreeze...

1 in? Fuggedaboutit.

It's funny you mention the reservoir design. I overfilled my 2018 Elantra like 5 in over the max line cold because the markings are down low and hard to read. I ended up contorting a tube attached to spray bottle nozzle into reservoir and squirted out the excess coolant.

You could suck the excess coolant out with a 200ml syringe with a push-on connection and a length of small diameter vinyl tubing that you can slip over the syringe's slip tip or catheter tip.

I mis-read my coolant level today, added some, then realized I over-filled. Probably an inch over the Full line. The design of the the reservoir makes it difficult/impossible to use a turkey baster or straw to siphon the excess out. How should I proceed? Should I be cocerned; can it cause any damage?
It's fine, virtually every coolant bottle has a vent to allow overflow, even sealed pressurized systems. Also when checking/adding coolant if you have a separate radiator cap I always like to fill and check it there, the radiator cap should be filled to the brim, and in conventional systems where the overflow bottle isn't directly attached to the radiator it's just that, and overflow bottle, you cannot properly set coolant level using it.

Beware of glycol coolant on the ground. It is like candy to cats and dogs. I lost my cat in the most agonizing way when he found and licked some.

My only concern with our van is that I've over filled the reservoir also, but I got a warning light on the dash, So I was able to reduce the amount with an old turkey baster. The warning light went out.

I've just left it, and everything has been fine--nothing on the floor and no dashboard lights. Likely due to the fact there's quite a bit of additional space in the reservoir.

Back