Outer tie rod question

I've replaced my tie rods with OEM ones 2 years ago, on my 98 impreza l. After alignment I probably drove 2000 kms. It then sat for the 2 years until today.

I did a bone head move and hit the top of the thread with a hammer, so it mushroomed a bit. I didn't notice until I put the knuckle back, and reinstalled the tie rod. The nut kept spinning, thus the threaded part was spinning with the castle nut. Some grease oozed out of the top boot, btwn the thread and boot. I managed to file the mushroom off, now the castle nut can be installed.

Now when I move the threaded part back and forth, and in a circle, grease starts to come out of the top of the boot. I'm wondering if I ****ed this part up when it was spinning with the nut?

I was planning on getting a grease needle and put more grease inside where the orange circle is in the pic I attached( also where the grease comes out). But just moving it side to side grease is making its way out. If I installed the nut and torque to spec, would the grease still escape from the top of the boot?

Attachments

• 5a076f9fe1baa041d5c215423b093bab~2.jpg
    5a076f9fe1baa041d5c215423b093bab~2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 10
The question is what grease are you going to use in this lubed for life joint. If it is not compatible the part is ruined away. You probably didnt loose enough grease to be too detrimental so I wouldnt worry about it or you could just put another OE on it, they are not expensive.
What happened that you had to replace the knuckle, low strut bolt broke off?

The question is what grease are you going to use in this lubed for life joint. If it is not compatible the part is ruined away. You probably didnt loose enough grease to be too detrimental so I wouldnt worry about it or you could just put another OE on it, they are not expensive.
What happened that you had to replace the knuckle, low strut bolt broke off?

I wouldnt know what to use, maybe a generic chassis lube.

I removed the knuckle to get a new wheel bearing pressed in at a shop.

Thanks guys for replying. I'll just use it and replace it when needed.

Back