Outdoor propane burners?

Looking at what's available, most of the burners are either the little camping style ones (Coleman-like, around 10,000 BTU) or the huge Thanksgiving turkey deep frying ones (60,000 BTU).

I prefer cooking the more stinky stuff outside. The little gas burners are not powerful enough and too flimsy. And the big/industrial ones generate a ton of heat that makes them uncomfortable to stand near, plus they don't work well with smaller pots.

I tried electric, too - again, not powerful enough, especially during winter.

I've got this one coming in a couple of days: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHZAS9A but I'm afraid it'll be too overpowering for pan frying/sauteing, just like the one I sent back: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWJPSDJ

The heat was just too intense, even at low setting.

Isn't there anything in between? Looking for recommendations. Prefer propane over butane.

Thanks!

I bought the one below from Menard's earlier this year. We love it for low country boils. I did use my large skillet on the burner to fry fish once. It gets hot but it worked. I use a combination of the valve on the tank and the regulator to control propane flow (heat). I haven't done a turkey yet...

Just my $0.02

I bought the one below from Menard's earlier this year. We love it for low country boils. I did use my large skillet on the burner to fry fish once. It gets hot but it worked. I use a combination of the valve on the tank and the regulator to control propane flow (heat). I haven't done a turkey yet...

Just my $0.02
Yeah, that's very similar to the one I just sent back.

I found a smaller one here, 15k BTU... but it doesn't have any wind protection...

I found a smaller one here, 15k BTU... but it doesn't have any wind protection...

FYI, I ended up ordering this one from HD and got it today. So far it's pretty good. I can dial in a very low flame, but it can also be cranked up to a very intense flame. Light wind doesn't seem to bother it much. It's rather basic but I don't really need anything fancy. Not bad for $24, although you need to supply your own propane hose with regulator.

Last edited:
BTW, I was a little surprised how the fuel line knob (the brassy part) connects up to the burner. It's basically wide open, but somehow the gas still finds its way down the tunnel and into the burner ports. I was expecting this entrance area to be sealed. How does the gas not escape through these openings?

kFIzS9hh.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I was a little surprised how the fuel line knob (the brassy part) connects up to the burner. It's basically wide open, but somehow the gas still finds its way down the tunnel and into the burner ports. I was expecting this entrance area to be sealed. How does the gas not escape through these openings?

kFIzS9hh.jpg
Are you sure you're not missing some parts? That doesn't look right to me and almost scary.

I called the manufacturer and confirmed, but it does look really odd. I'm going to try to send them this photo to double check.
Looking at images online it appears to be correct. This must be where the air mixes with the gas. I think what is throwing me off is the gas coming in and then having to make a right turn. If you look at other venturi tubes the air inlet is usually on the sides along the straight part and covered with a screen.

Looking at images online it appears to be correct. This must be where the air mixes with the gas.
Yeah, I actually closed these inlets up a bit as there was too much air going in.

Looking at images online it appears to be correct.
Yup. Stansport sent me photos of their assembled ones, and they look the same as mine, so nothing is missing.

The gas shoots out through an orifice toward the burner. The velocity of the gas keeps it moving in the proper direction. The venturi effect draws air in through the air inlets, and a gas/air mixture forms in the tube on the way to the burner. This mixture is somewhat too rich to burn though, so it doesn't burn until leaving the holes in the burner and mixing with additional air.

The pre-mixing with air is important. If only 100% raw gas came directly out of the burner holes it would burn extremely rich, with a sooty yellow flame like a cigarette lighter. That is inefficient for producing heat.

A guy named Bunsen invented this type of gas burner.

The primary air inlets should be adjusted so the flame is stable, and minimal if any yellow.

Doesn't this require special cookware?

I have a ceramic glass one (non-induction), 1200W, and it's just not powerful enough, especially during winter.

You need pans that are steel or iron. They are way better than any electric only hob if you have the pans. I can sear, boil, simmer etc.

I like them because I don't need propane. I can cook smelly stuff on my Lanai, it will turn off if I forget and it's super portable.

So, the underside of this Stansport burner heats up a lot. I placed it on a 3/4" thick slab of wood and the wood started deforming after the first use.

What can I place underneath it that would be heat resistant? A marble tile? Ceramic maybe? Or is there something better suited for this purpose?

Back