OUCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a storage building that I keep all my OPE stuff in. Has an open front with a ramp so I can just drive stuff in. Yesterday, after driving my lawn tractor in and parking it, was getting off and POW! Sharp pain in right cheek! WTH! Look around, don't see anything, oh well. Probably a wasp, we have mud daubers all over the place. Whatever stung me packed a wallop. Cheek hurt all evening and was swollen for several hours. This morning went out to get the mower to finish the back yard, there is something whizzing in and out the shed.

Krapp!! Yellow Jackets, very aggressive ones! Apparently they have nested in the treasures back in there somewhere. Emptied what was left of an old insect bomb in the place, pulled the tractor out and let it roll down the ramp. I need something to fog the place so I can go in and find the nest. So now I have to find some way to get rid of them. Open to suggestions.....

My cheek still hurts.

Wayne

Which "cheek" did they sting?
grin.gif

At lest you know you're not allergic.

Take a shot with whatever you can find at the store but be prepared to call in a professional. Someone nearby might not be as lucky as you.

No joke, get a large container, 3 qt or more, put a good helping of dawn dish soap, fill with water. Then early in the morning (they're quiet and at the nest), sneak up and douse the nest with the soapy solution. Kills them all almost instantly. The soap film suffocates them.

Oh, and after you fling the water, RUN!!!

I've tried a lot of different bug bombs, and Raid bombs work pretty well.

But I have had the most success with a charcoal BBQ filled with brickettes billowing smoke and snuffing them out.

They will be sedated and docile allowing you to find the nest, but use a respirator.

Then soak the nest with a spray like spectracide, remove the nest when dead, and then CLEAN the surfaces the nest touched with bleach or alcohol to remove pheromones left by the bees. Otherwise they will more than likely come back.

Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
Hazmat suit and flamethrower
Hmmm.. Somewhere I have a bee veil and a smoker.. Let me look.........

The foaming wasp spray works well for me. The jet spray goes 15+ feet, and one droplet will pretty much take them down.

Sorry to hear about this, I have been there myself. Hot summer temps make them aggressive. A cool morning might be the best time to attack them. Good luck.

Watch for a while during the day and see where they go in and out. Find the nest, then wait for early evening or morning and soak down the nest with wasp spray when they all are home. Bald face wasps and nests seem to be alot tougher to kill and more aggresive.
Expensive spray usually goes much farther(rifle), cheap spray is good for in close(shotgun) and you can take them out of the air if you need to spray during the middle of the day.
Have fun and do some warm up in case you need to do a quick sprint!

Idk if this works for yellow jackets, but around here I kill as many wasps as I can. But I leave the nest, they won't reuse a nest, and won't build a new nest close to an old one. I had a bad wasp year last year, but now I have old nests all over my place and I haven't seen but maybe 5 wasps this whole summer. Granted its a much cooler summer here, but no new nests anywhere.

Identity the nest and light it off with a propane torch. Singes the wings quickly and they cant fly after that. Then they are easy to finish off.

Just make sure no flammables are stored nearby. Or fumes in the place. Otherwise you may have wings in the end.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
No joke, get a large container, 3 qt or more, put a good helping of dawn dish soap, fill with water. Then early in the morning (they're quiet and at the nest), sneak up and douse the nest with the soapy solution. Kills them all almost instantly. The soap film suffocates them.

Oh, and after you fling the water, RUN!!!

If it kills them almost instantly, why do you need to run?

I got stung by a yellow jacket on my left hand last year. It does pack a wallop. The yellow jackets can be bad around here and you have to keep watch and make sure they don't build a nest in your yard.

I have some firsthand experience with this in an open sided 16x20 shed. After locating the nest, come back stealthily at night and spray them down with wasp killer.

They do not fly in the dark. But they will fly up the beam of your flashlight and sting your hand. When you move the light and they stop flying and fall to the ground they still walk around so don't wear flip flops like I did.

I set up the flashlight on a lawn chair about 15' from the shed; it gave me enough light to see by but allowed me to stay in relative darkness.. I could see them flying through the beam and covering the flashlight, which was sprayed right after the nest. 1 sting in the hand, and one on the foot but otherwise unscathed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Bug zapper

The mud daubers must be bad this year , All over the shop. I have killed a few in mid-flight with this. LOL
whistle.gif

image_23769_zpsaeff98a5.jpg

Originally Posted By: JDW
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Bug zapper

The mud daubers must be bad this year , All over the shop. I have killed a few in mid-flight with this. LOL
whistle.gif

image_23769_zpsaeff98a5.jpg

And they do work too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back