Other than Honda Fluid for 2001 Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car now has close to 106k miles. I am the only owner and I am on tranny #5.

My first tranny went at 45k. Now the dealership tells me to use only Honda ATF. I know there are btter ATFs out there. Is anyone using anything else in there 5speed auto v6 Honda or Acuras. Any benefits with other fluids?

I know it's not the same but I use Amsoil's ATF in my Acura and I love the way it feels. Nice, smooth, quick and responsive. I'd say it's worth a shot, it's supposed to last longer than regular ATF as well.

another issue is my car only release 3 quarts at a time. I total fill is like 8 quarts. So I will need alot fluid to do the flush.

Yes, it's a 4-speed automatic. 3 quarts at a time, just like yours. I've done two drain/refills so far
smile.gif
You'd notice the feeling right away if you're used to Z1.

I've been using Amsoil ATF for a long time. Recently swtiched to ATD although it's not recommended by Amsoil. Just installed a cooler and ordered a couple inline filters. So far so good but I'm only at 51K in my 06.

Out of curiosity, are they flushing the factory cooler/warmer when installing the rebuilds?

Quote:

Out of curiosity, are they flushing the factory cooler/warmer when installing the rebuilds?

YES. The factory is very specific about flushing the cooler when installing a remanufactured unit. In fact, they have a device that is sold to dealers just for this purpose for Honda units. I may've posted it on here a while ago but I don't remember.

Quote:

Quote:

YES. The factory is very specific about flushing the cooler when installing a remanufactured unit. In fact, they have a device that is sold to dealers just for this purpose for Honda units. I may've posted it on here a while ago but I don't remember.

The reason I asked is that in my early years as an R&R guy 10 years ago, not flushing the cooler on a rebuild was a firing offense. On many cars we sent the radiator in to have a new cooler installed because that type of cooler is nearly impossible to completely flush. I'm not sure if his year TL has a radiator cooler but since he's been through so many transmissions, it might not be a bad idea to have it replaced.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I asked is that in my early years as an R&R guy 10 years ago, not flushing the cooler on a rebuild was a firing offense. On many cars we sent the radiator in to have a new cooler installed because that type of cooler is nearly impossible to completely flush. I'm not sure if his year TL has a radiator cooler but since he's been through so many transmissions, it might not be a bad idea to have it replaced.

On some vehicles now, they require radiator and/or cooler replacement in the event of a transmission failure.

I may still have the bulletin regarding Honda's cooler flush policy...have to run to a meeting so I'll see if I can find it later.

Got off the phone with Acura. They say to use only Honda ATF due to the tranny Failures

Well before I got to this forum or even Acurazine. I got a steering wheel flush at the dealership $125. Now I can do it at home for $10.

The Z1 wasn't the cause of your AT failure, it was the design and metallurgy that is the culprit. With that many AT replacements, you probably still have some on going warranty. With that in mind, I'd surely stay with Z1. They could possibly void your warranty if you change fluids. Yeah, I know, they shouldn't, but stranger things could happen. Sooner or later, Honda is going to get tired of replacing transmissions and it will be harder and harder to get one for free. I wouldn't chance it. I also did the new fluid drop at every OCI on our 02 Accord, but it didn't matter at all and this trans was 80% highway driven.

I'm 99% sure that you don't have to use Z1 to uphold the warranty, Magnuson-Moss act? Perhaps someone more legally inclined could speak in on that. Personally I feel like Amsoil's ATF performs better than Honda Z1 in my Acura. Unlike my engine, I can feel a difference between brands in my transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back