Other alternatives for AC ie Swamp Coolers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there are other alternatives out there for cars that don't have AC. Thermador used to make swamp coolers for cars, but I don't see them anymore, figure there would be other alternatives out there now besides installing an AC unit or rolling all the windows down =)

thumbsdown.gif
I know about swamp coolers in a building firsthand.If it is in a humid or rather hot area they really just make things worse.If it is 100 degrees outside,the swamp chiller may bring the temp. down to a humid 85.The water in the chiller evaporates.When it does it goes where ever the blower sends it and that where you are.I think it was some Ford workers that got Legionaries disease from working with a water chiller
dunno.gif
.The warm water is a harbor for the disease.

smile.gif
I checked out the URL's and the cooler that is inside the car might work well.I would stay away from the outside models though.The inside coolers are different than what I am familiar with,
banghead.gif
they have a different set up.They are probably worth checking out further.

smile.gif
I checked out the URL's and the cooler that is inside the car might work well.I would stay away from the outside models though.The inside coolers are different than what I am familiar with,
banghead.gif
they have a different set up.They are probably worth checking out further.

Yea I'm in California, specifically in the sacramento area get about 20%-30% humidity on a hot day. Nice find BOB, wish these things were a lot cheaper. Personally trying to find a $200 or less fix, the one I had linked is about $238-279, a bit higher than I would like.

Though the old school ones sure turn a lot of heads =)

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:
smile.gif
I checked out the URL's and the cooler that is inside the car might work well.

Evaporative (swamp) coolers need large amounts of dry air to work. One sitting inside acar will soon saturate the atmosphere insde the car and stop cooling. Then you will have South Eastern humidity and South Western temperatures inside you car. It would be like sitting in a giant armpit.

They look a lot worse than the outside models, wheih were of limited usefulness. The old outside ones did help in highway driving in a very dry climate. We had one in the 1950's but my dad quit using it because it didn't make enough difference to bother with it. That was mostly in Northern Califonia with 25-30% humidity on summer days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back