OTC Water removers

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've gathered on this site (esp. the acetone threads) alchohol in the fuel can actually increase the water level in fuel?

My question is two fold:

Will alchohol increase water levels in fuel (from ethanol, etc.) and if so how do the water removers that are based primarily off alchohol remove water if this is true?

I live in FL so cold starts and fuel line freezing is rarely, if ever, an issue but knowing that some degree of condensation builds up regardless I was considering running a de-icer in the fuel every-so-often.

Good idea, bad idea?

As always, thanks for any advice!

Tom

Ethanol will mix with water and the alcohol/water mix will be burned. My understanding is that pure ethanol will absorb moisture and then over time become a mixture. So if you put lots of ethanol into a 1/2 full gas tank that has the other 1/2 tank of hi humid air then the ethanol will pull moisture from the air in the tank resulting in a gas,ethanol water mix. Not sur I'v explaned it clearly but, I would not be concerned unless maybe you put a high loading of ethanol in your car, left the gas cap off for maybe weeks which allowed moisture from the outside air to combine with the ethanol-gas mix. .

quote:

Originally posted by Fastride95:

Good idea, bad idea?

As always, thanks for any advice!

Tom

depends on your situation

there should be no need to use the alcohol

and the problems it could do i create excessive wear
potentially

if you use a water remover, try to find one without alcohol

but if you do use it
as long as its not a habit

heck
Ive gone without oil several times and still went over a 100K on top of a high milage engine before with no notice in loss of milage...

I wouldnt make a habit to try that, but in moderation, it should be ok

Alright, appreciate the advice. From what I'm gathering here it's not a concern and will not worry about running a de-icer to lockup any water in the system.

I did browse around in Wallyworld and Autozone but didn't find any de-icers that are made without some form of alchohol.

Tom

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
Ive gone without oil several times and still went over a 100K on top of a high milage engine before with no notice in loss of milage...

Without what oil? You mean an empty crankcase?
shocked.gif

Methyl hydrate works just fine. However, I would be inclined to use gasoline with 10% ethanol in the winter and see if that helps.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
I would be inclined to use gasoline with 10% ethanol in the winter and see if that helps.

Interesting thought. Top Tier Gas is required to contain at least 8.0 per cent and no more than 10.0 per cent ethanol. So it would seem that Shell, or Chevron, or one of the other top tier brands of gasoline would be a good idea in wintertime.

quote:

Originally posted by vizvo:
[/qb]

Interesting thought. Top Tier Gas is required to contain at least 8.0 per cent and no more than 10.0 per cent ethanol. So it would seem that Shell, or Chevron, or one of the other top tier brands of gasoline would be a good idea in wintertime. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I lived in AK for 7 years and remember there always being ethanol up to 10%. Some in the WY/CO area as well at the bigger stations but haven't seen any advertising (on the pumps) for ethanol mixed into the gas here in FL.

Fastride95 writes: "Is this true in all states in the US?"

If the gasoline is Top Tier, then yes, every gas station in the USA which sells top tier gas must meet this requirement. Check the requirements at Top Tier Gas under the "Deposit Control" heading, at the paragraph labeled "1.3.1.2 Base Fuel".

What is also interesting is that all grades of fuel at Top Tier gas station must meet the requirements. Shell Oil sells top tier gas, but Shell plays it cagey in their advertising. Shell would have you believe that only its premium high octane "V Power" meets these requirements. But according to the Top Tier website, all grades must conform.

Chevron also sells top tier gasoline, and to their credit, Chevron plays completely according to Hoyle in their advertising.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

Without what oil? You mean an empty crankcase?
shocked.gif

Yes.

Remember that black taco I put 422000 miles on and had many leaks and all sorts of ghosts... it was a lemon from day one two and three...

I have had three cars that were bad from the get go and they never changed. I guess if that ever happens again, I'll quickly take my losses... and get another.

Yeah, several times I heard squeel and clack anc gggrrrrrinnnd kkkkkkkaaaaaagggggg clap squeek
come to find out no oil.

Front main seal and other issues where there was extreme amounts of dirt getting in the engine.

etc etc etc

I had hose problems
a drainplug problem
one joker forgot to put in my oil cap in the evening time after I had work done and I believe it was about 30 miles later I notice the bad smell and the clouds of smoke behind me...

there were several times

I look on the stick and it took 3 or 4 quarts on several times

rear seal went once and I heard the noise for about 8 miles on startup and found out no oil
I buy oil and dump in and before I get out of the lot it started again... I had several major issues on that truck

If you're throwing in an OTC product that is alcohol, stick with isopropyl alcohol. Better results than methyl, and hardly costs more. Think Heet vs Iso-Heet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back