OTC leak down tester?

Looking for opinions on the famous/infamous OTC leakdown tester. Accurate enough? Durable?

Last edited:
I have one that is a little older and it has been fine but like car parts things can change overnight. I suggest buying it from Amazon and checking it out well then if its not what you want send it back.

Mine works great.

Attachments

• D686C9A4-B03D-4AAA-9948-0DFEF5EA2D50.jpeg
    D686C9A4-B03D-4AAA-9948-0DFEF5EA2D50.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 24
Trouble with automotive leakdown testers is there is no universal rule out there re the orifice size and details. In the piston engine aircraft bus. they are governed by the FAA who prescribe all details re "cylinder differential pressure" testers. FAA rules say use 60 psi... not the typical 100 psi used in automotive. FAA says use 0.040" orifice, 0.250" long, 60° approach and departure angles (for cylinders 5" dia. and less). Note that FAA says 0.060" dia for bigger bore cylinders. Obviously we are all less than 5.00"!

I believe that OTC has some decent products but you might consider checking out ETC - Eastern Technologies Corp... and they are actually the originators, 'round the time of the second world war, of testing radial aircraft engines with these tools. I don't believe the various ETC testers are that many $ BTW.

Last edited:
Trouble with automotive leakdown testers is there is no universal rule out there re the orifice size and details. In the piston engine aircraft bus. they are governed by the FAA who prescribe all details re "cylinder differential pressure" testers. FAA rules say use 60 psi... not the typical 100 psi used in automotive. FAA says use 0.040" orifice, 0.250" long, 60° approach and departure angles (for cylinders 5" dia. and less). Note that FAA says 0.060" dia for bigger bore cylinders. Obviously we are all less than 5.00"!

I believe that OTC has some decent products but you might consider checking out ETC - Eastern Technologies Corp... and they are actually the originators, 'round the time of the second world war, of testing radial aircraft engines with these tools. I don't believe the various ETC testers are that many $ BTW.
My bad; I erred with the 60 psi indication above. No, it is 80 psi that FAA requires be used.

Back