oregon road trip

im joining a cousin on a one week oregon road trip in early january. basically will be a north-south loop: portland-bend-medford-springfield-portland. it’s his consulting work trip (industrial safety & hygiene) and he invited me to tag along. he is a beer nut. we’ve never been, flying in/out pdx from n.e. and familiar with winters but not oregon’s. any thoughts/suggestions/advice/warnings? we will rent something awd, do rentals there come with snowscrapers? should we buy some tire chains or other emergency items? how are main roads in winter? is crater lake prudently drive-able? we will dress appropriately for cold weather. he has already spotted some beer places at overnight stops (uber to/from hotels). we will stay out of portland city proper, just pdx and his job site in beaverton. thanks!

I fairly recently went (pre- CV19) and would love to recommend some breweries to try. Unfortunately, I think most are temporarily closed.

I suggest purchasing day passes for the MAX light rail while there. Many places are accessible with just a little bit of walking, and you don't have to worry about parking or limiting the number of new brews you can try before driving.

The weather will likely be not in your favor. That’s a treacherous route except for Interstate 5 and that can change in a moment. Crater Lake? Good luck. People have died on those passes.

thanks for replies, neither one of us is a thrill seeker so we will stick to main highways, drive in daylight, no downtown portland.

thanks for replies, neither one of us is a thrill seeker so we will stick to main highways, drive in daylight, no downtown portland.
Yes avoid the hell that was previously known as Portland. Seattle and Portland have transformed mostly peaceful urban areas to complete crime infested cacaholes.

I lived quite a few years in Grants Pass OR, so know the area well enough. Yes, good vehicle with good tires. Supposed to be wet (surprise!) the next little bit, so all freeze action will be altitude driven as usual. Crater lake road(s) will likely be snow/ice, yes AWD of some sort. Rentals suck and yes buy a scraper for the one maybe two times you will need it.

Are you doing 58 to 97? Or I-5 to 138 ? Sounds like I-5 and east?

Frankly, the coast is the best (have a daughter near Astoria)

Bummer about the breweries.

My rental in Canada included a long wooden handled ice scraper. It was put to use. I'd at least pack a short scraper. Ya never know. If I was headed somewhere that required tire chains, I'd skip that trip unless others on the trip knew what they were doing. That's out of my comfort zone.

I've been to Bend. It's beautiful. People were chill. If houses were less expensive I'd give it strong consideration for retirement.

Portland is a dread zone. No reason to go in there unless you are looking for trouble. It’s a shame too.

I second the Oregon Coast thought. I’ve been there many times including winter. Watching the big waves roll in while enjoying food and beverage is one of my favorite memories.

Yes avoid the hell that was previously known as Portland. Seattle and Portland have transformed mostly peaceful urban areas to complete crime infested cacaholes.

I lived quite a few years in Grants Pass OR, so know the area well enough. Yes, good vehicle with good tires. Supposed to be wet (surprise!) the next little bit, so all freeze action will be altitude driven as usual. Crater lake road(s) will likely be snow/ice, yes AWD of some sort. Rentals suck and yes buy a scraper for the one maybe two times you will need it.

Are you doing 58 to 97? Or I-5 to 138 ? Sounds like I-5 and east?

Frankly, the coast is the best (have a daughter near Astoria)

Bummer about the breweries.

Many years ago the wife and I stopped overnight in Grants Pass. Our motel was on the main drag and we noticed on the way in a barbecue place that caught our attention and our appetites. We walked the short distance from the motel to this place. Typical red painted building. Typical western style. Inside we enjoyed some really good bbq. A roll of paper towels was at each table.

A few years later we were down that way again and we decided to stop at that place for lunch. We drove back and forth but it was like that building just disappeared. I can’t remember the name either.

Have chains in the vehicle and make sure your tires are in good shape. Eastern Oregon on Highway 97 and the passes can get some snow and the Crater Lake park is usually closed in winter because of snow. I camped there in September one year and can attest to it getting frigid at night. Bend has went from a wide spot in the road to a largish town in the last 4 decades. Many retirees with deep pockets are there now. I second the coast recommendation, it is geared for tourism and there won't be any snow. Lots of rain...

Back