Ordered New Composite Frame Hardtail 29er Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.29er.1/18761/76196/

I am beyond excited about this! I've been on a 2011 Specialized Hardrock 29er for the past 5 years, since getting into MTB seriously. Been riding continuously, usually at least once a week since then, and actually ended up getting a road bike (Scott CR-1 Team) in Sept. 2012, which was my first road bike.

Obviously the Hardrock is a very entry-level "mountain bike". I actually didn't buy enough bike, and ended up breaking the frame (right chainstay at front weld), and ended up having to replace many components (shifters, derailleurs, crank, rear wheel) because the bike wasn't up to the frequency or intensity of my riding. I also always thought it felt pretty sluggish, handling-wise.

I understand the XTC is pretty aggressive in the geometry department, with pretty short chainstays and a 71° head tube angle. Honestly I've never ridden an honest XC race bike before. When the bike comes in, that will be my first time to ride one! Also, the brakes will be FAR better than the 5-yr-old mechanical disc brakes I'm used to! So I'm sure it will take some getting used to for me.

I put up a couple of posts about the XTC inside an existing thread on MTBR and a couple of guys poo-poo'd it as being "an old outdated design" with an "old school 71° head tube angle". Apparently, the thinking in 2015 is to make the head tube angle a bit slacker, like 69°, which would obviously slow the steering down. But then they get the handling quickness back by shortening the chainstays even more. Then, the theory is, the bike is decently quick-handling down in the flat twisties, but not twitchy on the downhills. Makes pretty good sense to me.

I dunno, I am a dirt bike rider and a sportbike rider, and I like a lively-handling machine. Will the XTC be a widowmaker like those guys are saying? I dunno. We'll just have to see.
smile.gif

I really like the component group on the bike: full composite frame including seatpost, Fox CTD Evolution fork, Shimano SLX crank, brakes and front dérailleur, XT-Shadow Plus rear dérailleur, and thru-axle front hub. The wheels are Giant P-XC2... Honestly no idea how good those are. Stan's tubeless system being installed before I take delivery.

Can't wait!

Anybody here ride an XTC? Or a carbon Hardtail?

The XTC is a great ride, certainly not a widowmaker. It has very reasonable geometry. The drivetrain is as good as anyone needs, and you'll notice the SLX based drivetrain is a big step up from your 5 year old Specialized. The clutched XT rear derailleur is wonderful shifting, and the clutch keeps from throwing a chain when going over bumpy ground. The disc brakes are also a world better than the cantilever brakes your old bike had, and work well when wet (crossing streams).

Regarding the Stan's tubeless setup, definitely get those things running tubeless. Stan's has the best tubeless sealant out there. I actually work in the bike industry for a component supplier, and have a lot of experience with the Stan's setup - it works flawlessly.

I built up a Giant Anthem ride last year to replace a Santa Cruz Superlight, and Giant makes super frames! Largest bike manufacturer in the world you know. Enjoy!!

Originally Posted By: ilmonster
The XTC is a great ride, certainly not a widowmaker. It has very reasonable geometry. The drivetrain is as good as anyone needs, and you'll notice the SLX based drivetrain is a big step up from your 5 year old Specialized. The clutched XT rear derailleur is wonderful shifting, and the clutch keeps from throwing a chain when going over bumpy ground. The disc brakes are also a world better than the cantilever brakes your old bike had, and work well when wet (crossing streams).

Regarding the Stan's tubeless setup, definitely get those things running tubeless. Stan's has the best tubeless sealant out there. I actually work in the bike industry for a component supplier, and have a lot of experience with the Stan's setup - it works flawlessly.

I built up a Giant Anthem ride last year to replace a Santa Cruz Superlight, and Giant makes super frames! Largest bike manufacturer in the world you know. Enjoy!!

Hey bud, thanks for your comments!

I realized that I misspoke about the components - it actually has a Shimano Deore XT crank, and, combined with the stiff carbon composite frame, the XTC is really efficient at putting the power to the ground. I feel like XT is like the 105 of MTB components. Would you say that's accurate?

Love the Stan's tubeless so-far...neither tire seems to be losing any air. I don't know about running lower pressures with it - I was running 26 front and 28 rear today with the slick conditions, and I feel like I definitely don't want any less air in that rear tire. I could tell it was close to the lower limit for my weight (6'2", 180 lbs naked), at least, for where I rode today, which had lots of sharp-edged rocks. Dealer actually ended up throwing in the Stan's kit for free due to a little paint chip in the frame that happened somewhere between Taiwan and Nashville...it is a long way, after all!

I've now put about 35-38 miles on the bike at two different locations - one that is a pretty standard XC-type mountain bike trail and is pretty flowing with only a couple of technical spots (Lock 4 Park), and then another place that I just rode for the first time today (Shute's Branch) and loved. The place today was pretty awesome - starts out with pretty wide-open, fast trails, and then the 2nd half has some pretty technical stuff - mostly rock gardens with lots of tight turns around trees. Both places are a lot of fun. We've had a ton of rain here, so both places are pretty slick right now. I'm trying to get used to not only the new geometry, which is much more aggressive than the old Hardrock, but also the Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes, which are 1-finger powerful. Additionally, I have my Hardrock brakes set up motorcycle-style, with the right lever actuating the front brake (I ride sportbikes and dirt bikes). So, I threw myself over the bars once today in a slow, tight, technical spot because I grabbed a handful of front brake accidentally
smile.gif

The XTC is definitely an XC racer! It's light (24 lbs 2 oz as measured at the shop after the Stan's Tubeless kit was installed, for an XL frame) and the steering is quick. I can't wait to get this thing on some dry trails and really start throwing it into the corners. That is my favorite part about mountain biking - the turns. Being so swamped with rain lately, and as slick as it has been over the last 3 days, I haven't been able to do that much. Today I was really enjoying going around hairpins on the bike. It turns as fast as you want it to! The other side to the steep 71.5* headtube angle is that when the front end lets go, either in a flat, slick corner, or when the front wheel hits a wet, slick branch or root in the trail, it lets go fast... You have to have lightning-quick reflexes to save it. I haven't been on any long downhill sections on it yet, but it has a pretty wide handlebar, so that ought to keep things pretty easy to control.

The Fox fork is very good, and so much better than the entry-level Suntour unit on the Hardrock. I was really enjoying that fork out in the rock gardens today. I fell a few times, but, amazingly, didn't put any dings in the frame, or hit the rear derailleur, which is unbelievable. I'm sure it will happen. The bike's forte is not the rock gardens for sure, but that won't stop me from riding them anyway. For the fast, flowy stuff at Lock 4 Park, I like the Climb setting on the fork, which is the stiffest of the 3 settings. Today, at Shute's Branch, with all the rock gardens, I left it in Trail all day (middle). I haven't played with the clickers yet. A guy over on MTBR forum said that Fox actually dropped the CTD system for 2016 because it's not that great, and they have a new system. Apparently my fork can be retrofitted with the new damping setup if I buy a kit from Fox. The guy said that Fox even has it listed at a discount so that people can do just that.

The carbon fiber composite frame has a great feel. It is stiff, yet very compliant. Small and large trail imperfections don't transmit a sharp jolt like on the aluminum frame of the Hardrock...instead, it's like a "dead thunk", with a lot of the impact being absorbed and damped by that composite frame. It does a great job of transmitting every milliwatt of power you're putting into the pedals back to the rear wheel. I can't wait for some dry trails to see just how well this thing climbs!

Also just really enjoying the quality of the Shimano SLX and XT components. They're all several levels higher than the kit on the Hardrock, and newer, of course, so they feel really good. As I mentioned, the SLX brakes require only 1 finger, and have pretty good feel (I'll know more about the feel when we dry out here). SLX shifters are very precise and have a quality feel to them. Shifting is precise and fast.

The place I rode today has 8 miles of trail, and I put in 2 full laps and 1 partial lap (accidentally cut some of the trail off on my first loop). By the end of the 3rd time around, I was tired, but I was really starting to mesh with the bike. I am looking forward to getting to where I feel really comfortable on it! Can you guys do me a favor and hold the rain??

Here is a link to a good detailed little 3-minute HD video that a guy shot of his new XTC like mine. I think his is a 2014, but it's the same bike. I thought about doing a video but this guy did a lot better job than I would have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTPYnmfeVOc

You ask what the road group equivalent to XT would be. It would certainly be Shimano Ultegra. SLX components would be the equivalent of 105. Aside from weight (and we're talking grams), they all function the same (including XTR). From the pic's, you have one sweet ride! Certainly not a dedicated "rock garden" bike, but it will get the job done from time to time.

If you are noticing the tires are letting go when things get wet, sandy, etc., you may want to try a more aggressive tire on the front such as a Nobbly Nic if you want to keep it Schwalbe, or maybe a Kenda Nevegal.

My 27.5" Anthem I built up last year has an XT drivetrain except for an SLX crank. Rear shock is a Fox Float CTD with a Manitou Marvel fork, SunRingle' BlackFlag Pro SL wheels, Hayes Prime Comp brakes, Answer carbon bars and seatpost (can you guess who I work for?). I'll try and get some pic's up too. Enjoy the ride!!

Last edited:
Awesome! I've heard that the new Anthem is the bomb. Is that the aluminum frame?

How do you like the Manitou fork?

Yup, mine is the aluminum Anthem. The geometry in the rear makes it real plush, and it feels like it has more than 4" of travel. As I live in Wisconsin, a 4" travel bike is certainly enough. Not a lot of giant climbs or descents like out west.

The Manitou fork is really nice. Handles the little stuff real precisely, doesn't bottom out on the the bigger stuff. Also like the QR15 front axle for stiffness, and ease of removal.

Your tubeless tire can be run in the 20 - 30 psi range. If you get burping of the tires on the trail and losing air, you're running the pressure too low. You should realize better traction than if you were running tubes at higher pressures. If you ran the tires tubed at pressures that low, you'd begin getting pinch flats. Simply no downside to running tubeless.

How do you like the XTC so far?

I'm really liking the XTC. Of course, like I say, all my comparisons are to a Hardrock, an entry-level bike, so, almost anything would be a big improvement.

So far I have almost 50 miles on the new bike in my first week (all trail), at 2 locations. One is Lock 4, which is a very flowing XC trail with some roots, some rocks, a few switchbacks, a short rock garden, and a few short drops. I've been riding almost exclusively there for the last year or two. Only thing I don't like about Lock 4 is that there aren't many tight turns. To me, the best part about riding a bicycle or motorcycle, or even driving a sports car, is turning.

The second place, Shute's Branch, I just discovered last Wednesday, and it starts out very open and fast for the 1st couple of miles, then it gets into some tight woods. But you really can't go too fast through there because it's so rocky and technical. However, I've been there 3 times now and have really enjoyed discovering how the XTC handles that stuff. To me, whether it's a dirt bike, sportbike or bicycle, the fun is in adapting to whatever you're on, discovering its strengths and using them, and adapting to and overcoming the weaknesses.

With the XTC, it's all about comparisons, because it's obviously a pretty (mid) high-end machine.

Here are some of those strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:

- Lightweight - 24 lbs
- Carbon-composite frame & seatpost dissipate shock very well
- Stiff frame inspires handling confidence
- Racy Geometry (short wheelbase via 71.5° HT angle) allows quick handling and stable climbing (looking forward to taking the bike to Chattanooga to do some real climbing)
- Fox fork is very plush
- Front 15mm thru-axle makes for good lateral and torsional stiffness, contributing to great front-end feel, and allowing the fork to work better.
- Wide handlebar provides a confident feeling, and compensates for steep HT angle
- I really like the Giant Contact saddle - it is both compliant and supportive
- Shimano XT crank is a great match for the beefy Carbon downtube and BB for great power transfer
- 1-finger powerful SLX brakes
- Snappy, solid shifting from the SLX shifters and front dérailleur and XT rear dérailleur
- Tubeless pairs very well with this bike to deliver less maintenance, better ride and traction
- Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires are great in the dry

Weaknesses:

- Due to steep 71.5° HT angle, when you lose the front end, it goes really fast. You have to have really quick reflexes to save it. This has been more noticeable in wet conditions. I have learned that the XTC wants to be ridden like a sportbike - head down and leading into the corner, weight over the front end for traction. In the wet, it helps to lean off the side of the bike in the flat or off-camber turns, limiting lean angle.

- Fear of frame damage. This is not a weakness of the bike, per se, but, being a composite frame, it's always a consideration when going through rock gardens. I don't push hard when going through technical rocks as much as I would on a metal frame bike, because I don't want to damage the frame. I've been told it's tough, and I don't doubt that. Most impacts probably aren't going to cause a problem. But you still don't want to take chances.

- Lack of rear thru-axle and inability to swap one in. I'd rather have a thru-axle than a rear QR. I have noticed a little bit of lateral flex back there in certain situations (rear wheel drops off the side of a mid-corner rock or root). I understand it is possible to use a "thru-bolt", which I might consider. Incidentally, I understand that the Anthem rear frame is thru-axle compatible, though it doesn't come with one, and the axles are usually backordered. And it's a proprietary Giant thread. Which is dumb.

- SLX brakes could have more feel and progression, in my opinion

- Racing Ralph tires not so good on wet rocks, but most tires probably aren't

- No remote handlebar fork damping control

- Exterior cable routing. Front dérailleur cable from seat tube to front dérailleur seems especially vulnerable to being snapped by a stick.

- The glued-on, cheesy little thin aluminum plate on the bottom bracket that is supposed to protect it in th event of a chain derailment has already fallen off. It fell off yesterday as I was washing the bike.

That's about it as far as cons. More to follow as I get more seat time on the bike. I'm back home in Memphis visiting family, opening up the opportunity to ride several of my old trails, so, I'll be able to provide more impressions as I ride the bike more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back