Orange sludge in radiator

Just bought a new truck, and the guy said he put a new radiator, fan clutch and water pump in. The fan clutch is new and the radiator hardly has any dings in the fins, how quickly does incompatible coolant sludge up? Looks like a rusty brown paste, that turned my fingers brown just like rust would.

What do I do? Just replace the radiator? I don't see how I'm just flushing this stuff out.

Sounds like the well-known infamous sludge issue when GM DEX-COOL orange antifreeze is used in a system with trapped air space and not maintained.

DEX-COOL, AKA "Deathcool"

Flush with Prestone radiator flush and then replace with an appropriate Cummins approved coolant (not DEX-COOL, maybe Zerex G05 or Final Charge).
How quickly does this happen? You know they have all these "universal" coolants these days that imo aren't

How quickly does this happen? You know they have all these "universal" coolants these days that imo aren't
Usually a few months contingent upon the volume of free air space in the cooling system. The coolant compounds oxidize and congeal when exposed to heat and air constantly; however, mixing coolants with incompatible chemistry can accelerate the process.

I don't use DEX-COOL in anything, including GM vehicles.

Just bought a new truck, and the guy said he put a new radiator, fan clutch and water pump in. The fan clutch is new and the radiator hardly has any dings in the fins, how quickly does incompatible coolant sludge up? Looks like a rusty brown paste, that turned my fingers brown just like rust would.
It sounds like he threw parts at it when all it was just a sludged radiator .

He may not have flushed it out either. My ‘96 Jeep I did countless times drain and fill with the radiator and it still comes out muddy. You may have a long term project flushing it out.

Back