Orange can of Death??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did an experiment with a Fram PH3593A, installed on my Subaru Imprza EJ engine, with 10k miles in use. To test the filter efficiency, I put 20 grams of powdered graphite with average particle size of 8 to 15 microns. After adding the solid lubricant I ran the car for the day, about 15 miles. Next morning the startup was with a rattling for 1 second. I knw the filter was already used beyond reason and the added powder wa the end of it. I ran the car for a week always knocking on the startup. Then I took it out and let it drain for a week, changing positions of it to get rid of all the remaining oil. I oppened the filter with a hammer and a flat screwdriver and the results are below. Most part was filtered! And at cold was running on bypass, becaue it got almost clogged. No carboard nd cap on this one.

Some to the wall, I'm pretty sure the magnet played a role on the can buildup

Nasty, but on the best place to be, inside the filter

This antidrain came from the orange can and looks like silicon for me! Very pliable!

A little more "crème du grafitte" on the bottom.

So, it held up pretty well, even full of dirty. IMO the cheap oil filter is good enough. No tears, and the bypass is fine and save the engine for hundreds of miles in a induced clogged condition.

20 grams of graphite? sounds like enough to clog a brand new top shelf filter ...possibly ruin an engine. Good luck with that.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
You ran this oil filter for 10k miles ?

Yes, 10k miles and a week on the graphite testing

Dirty media, graysh in color

Last edited:
Yes, this one orange has. And the entrance has several circular passages, like a mc filter. It's a small filter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
...Why?

To see if the media would burst with a 15w50 cold oil in startup, and nope, it didn't rupted!
If it did the contaminant I added, wouldn't do harm. The oil stay pitchy black.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
We need a control filter to compare it to.

Good! Would you do with yours?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Man that camera has a knack for nausea inducing almost in focus images.

Sorry, I thought a Samsung TAB4 would take it better! Manual handling both was kinnda hard.

Pontual, while I appreciate the test and you putting your engine on the line to test a cheap filter this type of post reminds me why I started saving up and buying new cars.

Interesting test and a vote for using premium capacity oil filters, or bigger, or both. I used to think, that capacity figure who cares. I think 20g is over the limit on that one.

It did nothing to the engine, since the bypass is very light, about 4_6 pounds on this one. The engine had all the pressure it needed. That test was done 6 months ago. I ran the car for 5k miles after that and its perfectly fine. I'm posting this now for sharing/bashing, like you just did, hahahah. The engine has 150k miles and is running great and strong. Subaru or not, all good filter should do like this one did or better. I don't understand why they are worst made there. This one is popular for our market, but looks like top of the shelves for yours. Anyway, the cost in here is about 16 dollars. Anybody has a similar of the same code, to disassemble and compare?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Interesting test and a vote for using premium capacity oil filters, or bigger, or both. I used to think, that capacity figure who cares. I think 20g is over the limit on that one.

The OEM is about 19 grams, I'm affraid. This one got much more: Normal use from 16k km use plus a good part of those 20g ...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back