Optimal Filter for Chrysler 2.4L World Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post, and it's kind of a long one.
I've had my Jeep Patriot for a year now, and have tried a few different filters, and I have run into a bit of confusion and would like some clarification if possible.
I changed the oil out at 1000km and went with AC Delco PF48 (Champ & Purolator are identical, not sure who actually makes it) which appeared to be approved for this engine from various online sources. I'm also running M1 5w30 as from what I can find out on the net, it's better all around for my climate, driving, and towing conditions then the recommended 5w20.
I also tried a few Wix 57073 which is what their website points to for this vehicle, but they look considerable smaller then the PF48. The first couple Wix I bought had "Made in Mexico" and "Made in Indonesia" both stamped on the canister (so which is it?). The PF48 is made in the USA so I have been sticking with them.
I never thought about cross referencing the PF48 on the Wix website, but when I did it pointed to 57060. I picked one up, and it's made in good ole USA, looks like a nice high flow filter. I sent Wix an email to see is they approve this filter for my application and this was the reply:
Quote:
57073 is the proper filter for this vehicle and this is the only filter that WIX will warranty for this application.
Use of any other filter will be a decision you will have to make on your own.
Thank you

So this got me looking a litle closer at the 2 filters. 57073 has a 28psi bypass valve, while 57060 (and AC/Champ/Pure) all have a 15psi bypass. So I sent another email off about the pressure difference between Wix and competitor filters and here was the reply:
Quote:
We contacted an engineer familiar with the design of this product.
What we found was that the psi rating on the bypass valve was
correct, but we understand how it could cause confusion. This
valve, and any other valve designed for this function by our company or any other, has a spectrum across which it performs. By this we mean that it does not function like a light switch, having either an"on or off" position. Rather, it has a variable degree of operation; in this case it begins to redirect the flow of oil
beginning around 8 pounds per square inch of pressure differential between the interior and the exterior of the elements body.

The rating that is published for this filter is representative of
when the bypass valve is at, or near its fully open position. With that said, the filter will perform as required by the system for which it is recommended.
Regards,
The Technical Service Team

So my question(s) is, is there anything to be concerned about with the 15psi vs. 28psi difference?
Is there any problem with using the 57060 as it seems to be the better filter?

Here is a couple of pics of the Champ vs. the Mopar to give you an idea of the size difference. The Mopar is the same size as as 57073, champ is the same as 57060
http://www.servicechamp.com/prod_res_docs/TECH_BULLETIN_02_06_WPH48_Dodge_Caliber.pdf

Last edited:
in all honesty, i would use the blue filter, only reason is that its a little bit thicker and could hold more, other than that no worries.

Champion doesn't appear to have issue with spec'ing the PH48.

welcome2.gif

Are you up for some light reading?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Champion doesn't appear to have issue with spec'ing the PH48.

welcome2.gif

Are you up for some light reading?

Yeah....light reading all right. It was good though, I picked up alot. If my Wix email reply holds any validity, then the whole 23psi Subaru filter spec that carried on 18 pages was kind of off the mark.
In any case, I won't worry about the 15psi vs 28psi for my engine.
Thanks.

I had to stop by the dealer today, and they told me Mopar came out with a new filter for these. I had to pick one up to check it out. New ones are the same size as PF48 etc, and seem pretty well made. They were $9 which puts them cheaper then the Wix.
Any idea who makes these? I've never seen the oval inlet holes before.
Mopar4.jpg

Mopar3.jpg

Mopar2.jpg

That there looks like a Purolator. Thread stamped on the base plate ..oval openings just like the MC sitting right next to me.

Yep, much appreciated, Purolator Pure One
PL12222.jpg

I never looked that one up, the standard Purolator is just a PF48/PH48 etc.
L12222.jpg

I just wanted to bump this, for [censored] and giggles, as WIX discontinued the 57073 and now the 57060 is the filter they say is the "proper filter for this vehicle and this is the only filter that WIX will warranty for this application."

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That there looks like a Purolator. Thread stamped on the base plate ..oval openings just like the MC sitting right next to me.

Also has the typical Purolator coil spring bypass valve design. Looks Purolator all the way to me.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Yep, much appreciated, Purolator Pure One
PL12222.jpg

I never looked that one up, the standard Purolator is just a PF48/PH48 etc.
L12222.jpg

Almost every Purolator Classic has the same exact base plate as the PureONEs ... except this one is an exception for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back