What is the correct oil filter for a 2012 Impala Police with 3.6L engine?

The factory Police owner's manual supplement for the 2012 Impala says to use an AC Delco PF48 (low PSI bypass filter).

Fram says to use an XG10060 or TG10060 or PH10060 (low PSI bypass filter). (This crosses to the PF48, NOT the PF64).

Wix says to use WL10290 (high PSI bypass filter). (This crosses to the PF64, NOT the PF48).

Purolator says to use the L22500. (high PSI bypass filter). (This crosses to neither the PF64 nor the PF48. I think this filter is for the non-police version, which can take the longer filter. There is no room for the longer filter on the police version since the PF48 barely fits due to the oil cooler adapter).

And AC Delco's site was absolutely no help, listing only the PF63 which is too long (and which appears to be a high PSI bypass filter).

Should this engine use the PF48 or the PF64 filter?

9C1?

FWIW: GM Parts giant says:

GM Part No.:12696048​

FILTER ASM-OIL

• Part Description
    FILTER ASM-OIL
  • Replaced By12706595

Last edited:
It's a 9c3.

I thought the engine was back-spec'd for the higher PSI bypass filter, but many filter catalogs including Fram's still specify the original PF48 equivalent. Some other filter catalogs don't even list the shorter filter for the police application.

RockAuto's catalog just reflects the misinformation that I see in the oil filter mfg's catalog.

FWIW: GM Parts giant says:

GM Part No.:12696048​

FILTER ASM-OIL

• Part Description
    FILTER ASM-OIL
  • Replaced By12706595

can't figure out what 12706595 is though, googling the number turns up PF64 but has 12696048 on it...

I went through this with the Express in my sig, the filters were all changed recently to compensate for the newer high pressure oil pump GM is using, I don't believe the higher bypass pressure will hurt, but I personally wouldn't push OCIs out too far. I've been using lower pressure bypass filters so far, but I'll eventually run out.

The OLM on the 2012 Impala is programmed to reach 0% by 7500 miles under ideal conditions. So by the OLM, 7500 miles is the max OCI.

It's currently got a Fram XG10060 on it. Which is a 20K filter. Thinking about whether to run it for a 2nd OCI because it's a 20K filter.

The OLM on the 2012 Impala is programmed to reach 0% by 7500 miles under ideal conditions. So by the OLM, 7500 miles is the max OCI.

It's currently got a Fram XG10060 on it. Which is a 20K filter. Thinking about whether to run it for a 2nd OCI because it's a 20K filter.

If you run it for a second OCI, leave it on the car and don't unscrew it! Once you remove it, you have to replace it!

Reactions: JC1
An XG will easily do 2 7500 mile OCI...
As long as the engine is clean inside (no sludge)! I am running an XG2 for THREE 7500 mile OCIs of 5W20 Magnatec on the 4.6 2V MGM in my sig-but I ran several short oil changes with CQ Blue & other filters first, then cut them open to make sure the engine was clean enough. A dirty engine will blind off any filter, and my indy mechanic recently had a truck in that had engine damage from running a 25K OCI (with an oil recommended in the past for that many miles). UOA is always your friend if you're going to get crazy!

Reactions: JC1
As long as the engine is clean inside (no sludge)! I am running an XG2 for THREE 7500 mile OCIs of 5W20 Magnatec on the 4.6 2V MGM in my sig-but I ran several short oil changes with CQ Blue & other filters first, then cut them open to make sure the engine was clean enough. A dirty engine will blind off any filter, and my indy mechanic recently had a truck in that had engine damage from running a 25K OCI (with an oil recommended in the past for that many miles). UOA is always your friend if you're going to get crazy!
That's key, the engine should be clean. Someone wanting to extend the oil filter interval should inspect the filter after a 3-5k oil change to make sure that filter isn't filled up with sludge and crud.

The factory Police owner's manual supplement for the 2012 Impala says to use an AC Delco PF48 (low PSI bypass filter).

Fram says to use an XG10060 or TG10060 or PH10060 (low PSI bypass filter). (This crosses to the PF48, NOT the PF64).

Wix says to use WL10290 (high PSI bypass filter). (This crosses to the PF64, NOT the PF48).

Purolator says to use the L22500. (high PSI bypass filter). (This crosses to neither the PF64 nor the PF48. I think this filter is for the non-police version, which can take the longer filter. There is no room for the longer filter on the police version since the PF48 barely fits due to the oil cooler adapter).

And AC Delco's site was absolutely no help, listing only the PF63 which is too long (and which appears to be a high PSI bypass filter).

Should this engine use the PF48 or the PF64 filter?
And to the OP-I would use the PF48 because the factory oil pressure on (earlier) LS engines seems to be a little low once they get a few miles on them, and I wouldn't want to run the risk of hot oil pressure at idle dropping below the 22 PSI bypass rating of the PF64 (as it would on the 6.0 in my sig), because then you would basically have no or little flow in a bypass event if the media ever got blocked somehow. That's why I'm using low bypass PSI filters on mine, and I will eventually replace the factory oil pump, pickup, & oring with a Melling high volume pump. I'm already getting slight hot lifter tick, I may switch to Delvac 1 ESP or T6 5W40 temporarily to try to get hot oil pressure higher.

And to the OP-I would use the PF48 because the factory oil pressure on (earlier) LS engines seems to be a little low once they get a few miles on them, and I wouldn't want to run the risk of hot oil pressure at idle dropping below the 22 PSI bypass rating of the PF64 (as it would on the 6.0 in my sig), because then you would basically have no or little flow in a bypass event if the media ever got blocked somehow.
The filter bypass valve only functions as a result of the delta-p across the media. It has nothing to do with the oil pressure in the oiling system - there could be 40 PSI of oil pressure and only 2 PSI of delta-p across the filter. Any engine at idle isn't pushing much oil volume through the filter & oiling system, so the only time a filter would ever have 22+ PSI of delta-p at hot oil idle conditions would have to be totally clogged.

Last edited:
My danger is I'm sometimes below 20 PSI hot idle PSI, which wouldn't be enough pressure (if my issue is a worn LS oil pump like they're known for, or even a bad pickup/o-ring), in the unlikely event I blind off the filter media due to the OP not using Dexos oil for long OCIs in it, it MAY have trouble getting enough oil through it. I haven't driven it enough to change the RGT out yet (only around 2000 miles), but I'm hearing a little lifter tick hot-not a lot, but a Melling HV oil pump/pickup/oil pan job is in my future.

My danger is I'm sometimes below 20 PSI hot idle PSI, which wouldn't be enough pressure (if my issue is a worn LS oil pump like they're known for, or even a bad pickup/o-ring), in the unlikely event I blind off the filter media due to the OP not using Dexos oil for long OCIs in it, it MAY have trouble getting enough oil through it. I haven't driven it enough to change the RGT out yet (only around 2000 miles), but I'm hearing a little lifter tick hot-not a lot, but a Melling HV oil pump/pickup/oil pan job is in my future.
If the oil filter got super loaded up and the delta-p across the filter increased, the PD oil pump would still put the same volume through the filter and oiling system until the pump hit pressure relief. It will not hit pressure relief at idle and hot oil from a restrictive oil filter. It could hit pressure relief at high engine RPM, but even if the filter was clogged the filter bypass valve would probably open before the pump hit pressure relief.

What kind of max oil pressure do you see with hot oil and higher engine RPM?

Back