Opening A Time Capsule — Dynoing A 1990s NASCAR Engine in 2022

I met Richard Petty back around 77-79 and asked him the cost of a Winston Cup engine was out of his shop? He told me around $10,000 ready to race. Figuring in inflation that would be $45K today. A Nascar cup engine cannot be had for $45K today, more like $100K and up.

I met Richard Petty back around 77-79 and asked him the cost of a Winston Cup engine was out of his shop? He told me around $10,000 ready to race. Figuring in inflation that would be $45K today. A Nascar cup engine cannot be had for $45K today, more like $100K and up.
KIng Richard was a lucky fellow. He had most of his engines built with family hands. They were good hands too. Brother Maurice Petty built most of Richard's winning engines for him for many years. I think Maurice Petty passed away not long ago. Kyle Petty has a pretty neat show on cable
tv these days where he meets up with celebrities from all crafts to ride around and frequent all kind of small back country eateries.

They are a lot higher now. Especially if you want something competitive. They aren't based on production engines anymore, the Toyota engine, Ford FR9, and GM R07 are all bespoke designs for NASCAR. Although now the engine builders mostly lease. All the teams do is put them in the car and add fuel and oil.

They are a lot higher now. Especially if you want something competitive. They aren't based on production engines anymore, the Toyota engine, Ford FR9, and GM R07 are all bespoke designs for NASCAR. Although now the engine builders mostly lease. All the teams do is put them in the car and add fuel and oil.
Yes - NASCAR is just a GHOST of what was once a great automobile sport by very skilled laymen & professionals. It is all too commercial today. No one stands out or above anyone else in the garages anymore. People into auto racing should do some research on all the innovation, tricks and ideas some of the most succesful teams used to come up with. Stuff like giant or extra long fuel lines to hold more fuel. Weights hidden
in different parts of the chassis for better handling etc...
Just a taste:

Back